1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lousy light pattern

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mayhem, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Late 8' MM1 on the front of my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500. The lights on the plow frame work on that they always light up, but I cannot get a decent beam pattern out of these thigns to save my life...best I can do is light up a very thin strip in front of my truck, or have two thin strips, but its dark in the middle.

Of course everythign changes dramatically when I'm plowing versus driving on the street, so I tried to optimize the light pattern for when I'm driving and I use my highbeams when plowing to get a better coverage.

Does anyone have any advice for how to properly realign the headlights to provide the optimal coverage possible.

Barring that working acceptably, has anyone ever hooked up a set of aux lights to your plow to give better coverage? Thinking of just adding a set of fog lights and trying to get better coverage to the sides. Any particular advice on which lights to use, where to mount, etc?
  2. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Do you have the older style lights, or the newer larger lights? I had the original lights and upgraded to Fishers Instifire (I think thats what they are called), much better lighting.
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Old lights... a $300 (give or take) lighting upgrade is not a viable option for me. Just don't have the cash to spend on it.

I don't feel unsafe, so even if I had the extra cash, the intenifires are a poor value IMHO...I just know it can be better.

Its a personal plow only, I jsut do my driveway. I do drive to and from work wiht the plow on probably 10-15 times a season give or take, so it would definitely be alot nicer to have a better light pattern on the road.
  4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have my lights wired so that both the high and low beam are on at the same time (just spliced the wires together on the plowside). Its made a nice difference for me.
  5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

you might try changing the sealed beams for new sealed beams.
  6. Jack33

Jack33 Junior Member
    from NH

I put the Hella units with a H4 bulb in mine. They are better than the stock sealed beams and an affordable upgrade.
  7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Got any pictures of that Jack? That sounds like a good idea!