1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loud whining when cold

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve/maine, Jan 5, 2014.

1. steve/maine

steve/maine Junior Member
    from maine

Running a fisher MM 2 insta act strait 8' HD and get an intermittent loud whining from motor area and limited movement of blade. when I hear the noise I let off on the controller and try it again and it usually works fine with no whine. This continues for about one hour on cold days then works fine rest of the time. doesn't happen at all in warmer temps. and does this when angling and raising. I've replaced fluid and filter and checked all connections. Replaced fish stick controller last year. Next step is to replace motor tomorrow but, randomly replacing parts is going to add up fast. Plow is working fine otherwise. Any ideas if motor is bad?
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I whine quite a bit when I'm cold too.

My first thought when you say whine and limited plow movement would be the solenoid on the valve body, if its getting stuck the pump will deadhead and make a nasty whiny sound. But then you say it does it for both raise and angle, which would be two different valves and solenoids.

The only whine my powerpack ever made is from dried out bushings, but it still worked fine (no limited movement).

I'm assuming you have proper plow hydraulic fluid in it...?
  3. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

Maybe contaminated plow fluid. My Western acts up when its very cold. Moves slow or not at all and the motor screams. I have a bad seal on the lift ram and water gets in with the fluid then freezes in the tank. I keep a propane torch in the truck to warm the pump when this happens. Change your fluid/filter and see if it keeps doing it.
  4. steve/maine

from maine

Fluid that was replaced today was good as new and so was filter. I always use fisher blue and change it religiously. The motor is about ten years old but when I had it out today, nothing looked obviously bad aside from lots of black dust in housing from years of brush where (I assume). Warm here today so all worked fine after reassembly. Only seems to happen when real cold and only for hour or so.
  5. steve/maine

from maine

reading other posts about whining issue and a pump shaft bushing in the manifold is mentioned often. Is this easily replaced when I bolt on a new motor? I don't want to drain fluid yet again.
  6. ANA Proscapes

ANA Proscapes Senior Member
    from NH

I have a mm1 that does it all the time in the extreme cold. It's the fluid icing up and clogging the filter. I carry a propane torch in the truck and just heat up the bottom of the tank and move it up and down an it works it's self out. It doesn't take much moisture in the system to freeze up. Check the gasket around the pump motor.
  7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

add a shot of isopropyl dry gas to it