1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loud Vibration and shaking in 4wd only

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dodge Plow Pwr, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Ok, I have the 2005 quad cab, short box, auto, CTD. When the truck is in 4wd only the truck just shakes and vibrates upon acceleration. Last week the dealer put new front axel u-joints in. Same problem. They didn't even drive it to see what it was doing before or after the new parts. So today I take it back, again no drive. They ordered a new front drive shaft with all new u-joints and say they will call when the parts are in to repair it.
    What ever happened to a real mechanic that didn't just throw parts at it, but actually took the time to find the actual problems?????????
    Ok, rant over.

2. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Wow, no road test before and after?. They are NOT mechanics, just stealership Part Replacement Technicians. For reasons like this I only use dealerships for warranty, sometimes not even that! If they don't fix your truck right when you go back, go in:realmad:and then:gunsfiring:because they've really screwed you around with laziness as their only excuse!

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Just some thoughts but it sounds like the front drive shaft may be bent out of alinment?

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the drag link is gone

5. BigDave12768

Wouldnt he feel that all the time? not just in 4x4.

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not if its the shaft for his 4x4. in 2x the front shaft would not be being used.

7. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

So you demanded you money back for the first NON- repair RIGHT?????
    if work is performed on your truck and the problem isn't fixed why would you pay????
    If a plumber came to your house to fix a leaking pipe and when he asked to get payed the pipe was still leaking would you pay him??

8. BigDave12768

Yeah but they still spin in 2x. Dont they?

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not 100% sure about in the dodge But I know or a fact the the chevy 4x4 shaft( the one from the transfer case) does not spin unless it is in 4x4. Thus explaining whay it would make noise in 4x4.

10. DBG

DBG Junior Member

The front shaft spins all the time due to the fact that the hubs are constantly locked. I just had this problem. Truck would vibrate 20-30mph in 2wd and all the time in 4wd. Front shaft had a bad joint in it.

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Thanks for all the responses. The front shaft spins regardless of locked in or not on this truck. Also, I didn't pay for the last repair and still have extended warranty on the truck for another 25k miles. The vibration is there in 2wd but way worse in 4wd. As far as shaft aligment it was "within spec". RIGHT!! We'll see after the parts come in. They just changed all of these in August 2008.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

mechanics , are not much more than parts changers sometimes

13. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Does the vibration change when on snow vs dry pavement???

14. Dodge Plow Pwr

Nope. It is the same no matter what I drive on. The only difference is 2wd or 4wd.:confused:

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Ever tried to used 4 LO looking for differences. Could be a bearing in the transfer case. I remember a Ford Exploder a friend of mine had at his shop with a comparable noise issue. Ended up being a bearing in the case, after way too many hours of tinkering.

16. Dodge Plow Pwr

It's the same in Lo and Hi 4wd.

17. Dodge Plow Pwr

Update

After the last trip to the shop for this back in Jan. they decided I needed a new front drive shaft and all new u-joints. I called the other day as it is REALLY bad now, they say they will not get these parts MAYBE by March 26th. WTF??? Can you not just change the u-joints? They say they ordered a new complete shaft with joints already installed as that is how Chrysler wants it done????????????? WTF???????:realmad:

18. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I guess if they wan't to be "parts replacers" it is o.k as long as it is under warranty and on their dime. But as far as the ammount of time they are taking to remedy the problem, It is totally unacceptable.

19. Dodge Plow Pwr

Maybe by April now....MAYBE:angry::angry:
    It is now doing it in 2wd too... Can hardly stand to drive it.

20. MJD82

MJD82 Member

just a thought but have you checked tranny or t-case mounts? with the stress of plowing it will put more strain on the tranny mount if the mount is bad it will cause a vibration any time you are moving it will intensify in 4wd