1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loud plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by checkm09, Feb 2, 2013.

1. checkm09

checkm09 Junior Member

Hey guys I am new to the industry this year and I have posted on here a few times. So far I love it! And thanks for all your helpful advice!
    So the first 3 plows we had in mn were pretty wet and I wasn't scraping on straight concrete, but last night we got 2" and it was straight concrete below. I have a boss v plow with a backdrag bar and it is sooooooo fricken loud back dragging and pushing. I don't wear any shoes on my plow so I can get down closer would that make it quoter ? Seriously it could wake up the whole neighborhood. Any tips would help thanks !

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Put shoes on to carry the plow off the concrete about 1/4'' then Just salt heavy
    Or you could install a rubber cutting edge

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it lets people know that it snowed to get up early for work!

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Hands down boss is the loudest plow dropping and cutting edges. So its just something you live with you wanted a fast plow that wont break down much thats ur trade off.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

hmm I don't know if I'd say boss is the loudest plow.

personally I've never owned anything but a boss blade but I don't find them very noisy at all. just a thump when dropped and back dragging does create a little noise but nothing you can from inside a home.

6. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I cant speak for how load the wideout or xls is. But Boss is by far louder with there V's and straight blades. compared to meyer or western or snow dogg, sno-way, blizzard. With that being said just crank the heat and tunes up and push the snow. Its usally at a deep enough tone that it has a signature of more like rolling thunder usally plows wont even make a dog wake up. So it shouldnt wake anybody in a normal sleep up

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't mean to be a Mr. Obvious here but it's your backdrag edge creating all the noise. It's best to set it slightly higher than the stock edge so it doesn't produce that fingernails on a chalkboard racket.

8. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

maybe that's why I've never noticed the noise.....from day one plowing with my boss blade I always have the radio on and the heat full blast.

9. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have never even considered the loudness of a plow. There are so many other noises around at night and other plows/trucks that even if you make your quite the guy working beside you is still going to be loud.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

yeah that's another good point.

I'm too busy paying attention to everything around me and what I'm actually doing to even really notice the noise it makes.

I'd rather pay attention to keeping the plow from going through a garage, side of a house, tearing up turf or hitting a car than how loud it sounds.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Concrete is "hollow" underneath so when it's cold out you will hear it thump more.And when you backdrag it makes more noise because it is a more smooth they asphalt

12. hummer81

hummer81 Member
    from MN

what it all comes down to is friction. Most concrete surfaces shouldn't be hollow underneath. The concrete itself has an element of hollowness to it with air entrainment. Thus probably making it a little louder than asphalt. Crank the tunes up.

13. checkm09

checkm09 Junior Member

that is exactly what the problem is. The backdrag edge is what is causing all the noise. I am new to the plowing world so the noise has scared me quite a bit and it may be obvious to you but for me not so obvious. How far off the ground do you suggest I raise the backdrag edge ? Will this affect its ability to backdrag then ? how did you setup your plow to work the best in both situations? thanks guys !

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Set it about 1/8" or so higher than the main edge. This will prevent it from dragging on the ground all the time but the front edge will still handle the leftover 1/8" of snow just fine while backdragging.

15. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

rubber cutting edge or turn up the radio.:laughing,,,

16. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Haha - I can't hear anyways! So the plow and radio are awesome background!

17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

A buddy of mine just bought a brand new Boss VXT this past fall and had the factory backdrag blade installed as well. I talk to him on the phone while plowing on a fairly regular basis, and I can honestly say I'm not sure I've heard a plow make that damn much noise as when he's backdragging. It's absolutely terrible.

18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Rubber Blade = no Noise.

Boss Rubber Blade.jpg

19. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Gorgeous setup

20. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Anyone notice what's wrong with this pic?