1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loud noise when turning right

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin207, Dec 19, 2010.

1. plowin207

plowin207 Member

last night when i was on my way home my truck started making a grinding like noise when turning right. It got louder and seemed to get worse today and you can almost feel it in the floor pedals and wheel. i am guessing it is the wheel bearings but could be wrong. my truck is an 01 GMC Sierra 1500. any ideas on wether it is a wheel bearing or something else? and are the timkens that much better then the duralasts that they are worth the extra money. and should i just replace both at the same time or would that be a waste of time and money if it isn't bad. thanks in advance
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Sounds like a wheel bearing, you will know after you jack it up and check, if it's a wheel bearing and you run a heavy plow then I would do both, I't your call, keep us posted
  3. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

Yeah jack both wheels off the ground and try to recreate what happens. Turn the wheel right and spin the tires.
  4. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

might be the c/v axel for the 4x4 (universal joint)
  5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

if its a wheel bearing, its most likely the left side. could also be a cv joint. I personally do everything in pairs. each side has roughly the same number of miles on it, how long before the other goes? Good luck.
  6. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I agree, everything done to the front end should be done in pairs. As far as that goes, the same rule applies to the rear.
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

If it is the bearing, I would stick with timken. Autoparts123.com has them for $123 each. Not sure how fast they can get them to you, but it would be worth a call to find out. I paid well over $300 a couple years ago when I needed one in my truck.
  8. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

Most likely the bearing. The cv joints on these trucks are not to common. It is also okay to just the one side. I am not sure with anything other than brake components that anybody does both sides on anything. I have done single bearings on multiple trucks and most never come back or within a years time atleast. Some never come back.
  9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree, don't fix it if it ain't broke........preventative maintenance is one thing but why throw your money away?
  10. plowin207

plowin207 Member

not sure what it was but the noise stopped yesterday and i drove it more and no noise so im wondering if something got between the break pad and rotor? any thoughts
  11. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

have u jacked it up yet and checked for play in the bearings? they could still be very loose and cause you some major issues. i have actually seen the ball bearings disengrate and no more noise and the wheel be ready too fall off get it checked for your safety and safety of others let us know if you found a concern
    also if only one is loose i would only replace the bad one have done it many times the other may last forever
  12. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Jack it up and see if the wheel moves... :nod:Mine did the same thing made alot of noise one day and the next nothing... Jacked it up and had a bad bearing:angry: but it only took a little time to fix :drinkup: