1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loud grinding noise when I start the truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sealer People, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

Hi everyone, thanks on advance for any replies.

I noticed last night that the truck is making a loud grinding noise when I start it.

I just had a rebuilt starter put in it, it was fine for about a week or two. But now Im noticing this noise.

I doesnt happen while driving at all & still drives great, this is only while starting

Im looking at a 2007 3500 duramax to buy within the next few days or so, so Im hoping that this isnt a repair that might cost alot. I just did the starter & I hoping that would be it.

The truck making the noise is a 1996 chevy, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 turbo diesel.

Thanks again.

2. PlowTeam5

PlowTeam5 Senior Member

If you just did the starter and it only does it while you are starting it, then it is prolly a junk starter. Not trying to be a smart ass but it sounds like that is the issue. Rebuilt starters are nothing but rebuilt junk. I went through 3 in one yr on my old truck before I just bought a decent one.

3. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Pull the starter and look at the flywheel , the teeth are most likely damaged by the bad starter . Youll have to turn the motor by hand to see more then area of the flywheel.

4. Sealer People

Vinnie, I was thinking the same thing. Even if it is a bad starter,,,, what do I do if I notice that the fly wheel is missing teeth ?

Can I take the issue to the place that I bought the starter & blame them for the damage ?

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Most of the time its the bendex not fully ingaging with the fly wheel, happen to me on turkey day on a starter less then two weeks old, auto part store warrented it and know it starts better then it ever did

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Could be a bad starter out of the box. Before returning it tho I would for sure look for missing teeth on the flywheel. Mark a spot with some paint or some sort of marker and turn it completely until you see the marks again.

Next issue could be a warped flywheel. I just replaced a warped one on my 1999 Yukon. I doubt very much you will be able to place the blame with the parts store as you had the problem before buying the starter. Once you go that route and you end up with another grinding starter n a couple of weeks they will flat out refuse to replace it again.

7. mmaddox

mmaddox Member

Did you use the shims that should have come with the new one?

8. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes the Shims !!!!!!

9. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Also check to see if one of the starter mounting bolts have broken off or fell out. I have found this to be a common problem on older GM's

10. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2, that starter should also have a bracket for support, be sure it is still there and tight.

11. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Damn I have this same issue... I had a new one put in about 6 months ago and it grinds randomly. I'm going to put in a brand new one soon, I hope I didn't damage the flywheel.

12. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

If it worked fine for a week or two I would definitely check to make sure all the bolts are still tight.

Don't put this off! Every time you here that noise you can be damaging those flywheel teeth.

Sometimes you can use a good quality spray lube on the starter drive and get it to work right for a while. New parts come from China or Mexico or who knows where, and are often under lubricated.

13. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I have a new starter and a new ring gear (flywheel), I shimmed it but it still sounds awful. I've got up close and tried inspecting the teeth, I cant see anything wrong and the wear marks its making on the teeth look normal, not off at the end of the teeth or anything. But why is it so loud? Not sure if I should remove a shim or add a shim or leave it alone or what.
    Also, it has the big thick aluminum cover that would probably cut the noise a lot if I ever got around to reinstalling it, but I dont want to put it back until I know the starter function is ok. Could it be that all I need is the shield to muffle it? Is that maybe why they put the thick shield on there? Couple other 454s I've heard lately make a lot of noise too.

14. Sealer People

Rebuilt starters are garbage & thats the last one I put in.

My mechanic didnt replace anything, he took it all apart & re-installed everything which I would hope is " properly " but Im at the point where I dont truct mechanics anymore.

Dan,,,,, Check the bolts on your starter,
    I know one on mine was broken, that could have taken it off balance which could account for the loud noise. Also make sure the support bracket is installed.

If not that, then Id get a new starter (under warranty of course if possible).