1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loud Clicking sound.. please help..

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PlowOrDie, Dec 18, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

right now im having a problem, not affecting me YET, but im sure it will...... It is a loud clicking sound coming my front right axle, only when I am driving straight... making turns - no clicking... it does not sound right...

anyone have any idea what it could be??

If nobody can come up with an answer, I will try and take my digital recorder with me, stick it out the window when im driving, then upload it to the web so you can hear it for yourself... if someone can save me a trip from doing that, Id appreciate it!

I admittingly need to step up my mechanical abilities/knowledge in order to succeed in this business... so all answers will be greatly appreciated.. thanks guys

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of truck?

3. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

97 dodge ram 2500 4x4

4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I would say look at the axle shaft U-joint. Same thing happened to me on my 99 Dodge.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

it is a rotational noise yes? so check things that rotate. check R F u joint (CV Joint), Wheel bearing, Lug nuts while lug nuts don't rotate when you turn it puts side loads on the wheel, so instead of plopping around(clicking) its pushed in.

6. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

U-joint. Just had the same thing happen to me the other day.

7. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

Sounds like the axle u joint to me. Going straight there is less stress on the u joint. The needle bearings are probably shot. I recommend changing them both as soon as possible. Because if it falls out you will round out the yokes. I changed mine out for the Dana/Spicer forged units, a little pricey but the piece of mind is invaluable.

8. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

cool thanks for all of the answers guys...

i am going to run up to the library and get a repair manual and try to DIY it....

THANKS ONCE AGAIN...

9. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

[​IMG]

does this look like the piece i need to replace with?

10. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

that looks like them.....with the exception of the rust, blood, frustration that the old ones will be coated in by the end.........

Good luck

11. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

after reading that... i might just have to take her in...

12. big bird

big bird Senior Member

what its so much fun to change u joints:realmad:

13. big bird

big bird Senior Member

make sure too grease them now lol :nod:

14. hadley-plow-guy

hadley-plow-guy Member

It's not that hard to change them if you have a very large hammer and the special spindle nut socket. When you get the axle out don't be afraid to smash the hell out of the yokes to get the old u joints out. The caps will be froze in there. And make sure that the new u joints clips are firmly in the groove and not just sitting on top. Good luck.:dizzy:

15. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

thanks guys

16. pyro29

pyro29 Member

...but be careful when putting the axle back in...don't tear the seal. If you do, the right side is easy but to do the left side you need to pull the carrier...

17. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Those U joints are for the front driveshaft. The Dodges don't have solid front axle, do they? I though they had CV axles. The only thing is, is that usually, and I mean in the vast majority of cases, the cv axle only makes noise on turns,...and usually you hear it only in 4wd at first. I'm hoping it's not a wheel bearing. I know the front bearings for my 89 (Chev.) are about 200 bucks apiece, because they are the one piece with the hub assembly (3/4 ton). Anyway, you'll know when you get it apart....Good luck with it.

18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Could be a bad wheel bearing.Newer Dodge and Ford straight axle now have those crappy unitized wheel bearing spindles. Many fail before 50,000 miles.

19. ticki2

ticki2 Senior Member
    from NH

That vintage Dodge uses a double cardan u-joint up front , basically 2 UJ's in a housing . To replace you need to remove the hub bearing . This is a 3oo or 400 dollar item. If not removed properly it will seperate and it's trash . Not trying to scare you , but the first time can be a pita , especially if you don't know what to expect . get a manual and do some reading . Good luck .