1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lots with cars

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by doh, Dec 17, 2006.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

Just venting.

I have a local Arena lot, that fills with cars at 6:00am. So I must start at 3:30am and of course sometimes I miss the start time.

Well yesterday I awoke to 2" at 8:13 am jumped in the truck and headed to the Arena. I got there and started to plow the main laneway, the lot was half full, but then the game changed, and drivers are a holes (for the lack of a better word).

They drive in at 30 mph, and have to get that parking spot before you, even though the flashing blue light should tell them you are not parking! They have to park in the un cleared parts, and have to be the first to leave.

Anyways it is so much easier at 3:30 am being all by myself, plowing around the 1 or 2 cars parked under the "No Over Night Parking" signs.
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah youre not the only one who has to deal with it just do what you can and clean up later its a pain in the....so if you dont want to tell them they cant park there for now
  3. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

That's why I carry my tow chains on the truck. :) I've actually moved a few cars like this in emergency snow situations. And your right. People are A holes. You could be lit up like a christmas tree and it really wouldn't matter to some.:eek:
  4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

wow, no offence, but if I caught you dragging my car out of the way you better hit the gas and keep going.

Last time I checked we were snowplow operators. Not tow truck drivers or police officers.

If a car is in your way, call the police or a towing company. Don't drag it out of the way like an ignorant ahole yourself.

If cars are a problem in a parking lot talk with the PM company. Charge more for the account and be done with it. But move my vehicle with tow chains and I will move you.
  5. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

Just plow around them. If it's a row of cars, just go right on past them. You can't control the weather or the people driving in it. If they would like, come back in the evening hours & plow it all again for another charge. I have in some of my contracts, a business plowing description & an after-hours plowing description. Both are the same price because it takes just as long to plow around traffic because you have to watch for moving obstacles more closely.
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have try-ed and try-ed to bait people with nice plowed areas close to the doors. I even find out where employees are told to park and do that area first. It does not work they still park right in the unplowed areas. SUV owners are the worst drivers in the snow too.
  7. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

eh, suck it up

cars, shopping carts, people in fire lanes- part of the job

I would also imagine getting into some trouble for moving someone's car- not only from the guy's car, but from
    the owner or manager of the lot. Be pretty good grounds to break contract or not renew the following year if you get caught.
    Potential lawsuit if they claim you damaged thier vehicle.
  8. aus316

aus316 Member

i am just a sub but 2 of my lots are filled with vehicles which are every where some even block me doing handicapped parking but when it was mentioned to customer they say they have no control over where company vehicles end up:nono: so i was told if they call to complain its on them because the concern has been put forth(so as was said do u best and go on):drinkup:
  9. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I have seen a guy here who uses orange cones to block off entrances. He plows a section right up front then sections off with the cones. This way he can kind of controll the traffic. Also snow piles keep them out of areas.
  10. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

while I agree with him ppl are stupid, and have no clue what we are doing. But if I caught someone towing my truck/car, the cops would have to lock me up. I would flip.

For the most part I don't think tow truck operators are as fast to tow 3/4 1ton trucks, b/c they know they are going to have to deal with some hard ass dude.
  11. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

yeah even when im in the tow truck people come at me crazy i can only imagine me hooking a chain up and dragging them :dizzy:
  12. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I was plowing a commercial complex a few years ago with a Deere 624J loader (big sonavbitch)....I was lit up like xmas tree with all kinda of lights etc. I just pushed into a big pile and moved it back exposing several once buried parking spots. I selected reverse to back up for another pass and something just caught my eye as I glanced out the rear window to ensure all clear...

What turns out to have caught my eye is the roof mounted antenna of a Honda Civic that had driven completely up behind me and was now literally (front hood to windshield) under my rear counter weight. Had I not seen the antenna I would have easily ran over the car crushing it completely...once I got my heart started I climbed down from my perch and accosted the driver with a "what the heck do you think you are doing"....the reply..."you just cleared my favorite spot and I want to ensure no one else takes it"

When I explained that trying to ensure that particular spot too hurriedly had nearly cost her their life...I was given a blank unbelieving stare....:eek:

Bottom line....people in parking lots are unconscious a-holes period...don't expect courtesy they can't even look out for their own lives

ps. many a time have been tempted to quick disconnect the pusher and snap on the pallet forks and "gently" move an offending parker...but as was stated before....leave that to Johnny law....but damn it would be easy :D
  13. NickyBombs

NickyBombs Member

Relax crazy mike
    You have no idea what your talking about so don't talk crap when you don't know the whole story. :yow!:

If someones abandons their vehicle against a fire hydrant and it is tagged as an abanded vehicle. When the property owner says move it u move it.
    I doubt a tow truck driver will make it out in a big snow storm.

If the loser had enough sense not to park there then he wouldn't get moved. hahahaha:waving:
  14. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

I look after a large grocery store and a home depot amung other large contracts.
    The grocery stores employees start to roll in at 5:00 AM so I TRY to have there spots clear but there are a bunch of them that have there favorate spots elseware in the lot then in the emplotee lot. Anyway I call these people DRIODS, it dosn't mater if there is three feet of snow or every other spot in the 400 car parking lot is clear and black they still have to park in there favorate spot! I can't count the number of times they've gotten stuck and I just laugh when they ask if I can help. Anyway I could go one for hours about dumb ass's getting in the way! :yow!: :angry:
  15. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

We plow a large open arking lot for the American legion bingo place. Holds about 100 vehicles and no obstructions at all. Never fails that a few times a year there is a car in the middle of the lot. This year, we asked the manager. Car had no plates, wat totally clean and had 3 or 4 orange stickers. Owner said the car was abandoned and the tow company hadn't been out to get it because they knew no one would pick it up. Car was a POS.

We hit it with the plow on the dump-truck. Shoved it to the end of the lot and piled all the snow in that corner. at least 7 feet of snow on top of the car and it stayed till warm weather.

When the snow melted, the snow had crushed the car...that and a few plow blades. No one ever came to claim it. Owner had to pay a tow truck to haul it to the junk yard. We should have checked the trunk for bodies maybe. Ha.
  16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Not true, when I was towing it never mattered to me if I was towing a Toyota, Harley, or Kenworth. I knew I had the law on my side and when doing a removal i always had the local PD waiting in stand-by within eye shot.

I have a prob with a small lot with ppl using this lot to go to a nearby bar. So of course the first couple of snows a year theres a couple or cars that are just rite where I need to stack my snow. Well I put the snow where I need to put it. If their car is parked there then I dont bury them but I sure do make it hard for them to get out. It always warms my heart to see little foot prints in the snow while pushing thier car out. I fig it this way if I have to come back in the morn to plow a lot that could have been done the night before then its thier own fault. BTW before I get flammed the lot is posted no parking at night and I have the owner blessing for these activites....Rob
  17. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Guys it's not worth getting bent. Our contract reads that our plows only get within 2 ft of parked vehicles. And cleaning up charges associated with re-visits are very expensive. If you have enough of these situations and your customers get their bill you'd be amazed how fast the people paying the bills will handle your issues for you. As far a people in the lot while you are plowing, make up a flyer and ask the client to distribute it to his emplyees and post it so his customers can readily see it. This way if people are still ignorant and do something stupid you have done all you can reasonably do to warn them of the hazards in a lot that is being plowed and their negligence of your well worded warning will be on your side in court.
  18. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

If you're a tow truck operator... otherwise, you must be joking...sounds like a recipe to be sued out of business... :dizzy:
  19. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Yep I would have to agree sounds like a lawsuit.I am a easy going guy laid back most of the time and live to joke with people.But I think this guy is talking about a PARKING LOT that is where cars park.If I walked up to my truck or car being pulled with a chain LOL keep dragging it down the road for miles because I think I would flip the old lid and be in jail for a pretty long time. I think that is a recipe for a good ol butt wipping.

20. doh

doh Senior Member

Yea I would never yank 1 out of the way, jeez I never even call the tow truck and I sold him his F 550.

Small town and news travels fast, I just plow around them and some times plow them in (hehe) if I know them as easy going.

It was just a vent about it, spoiled after plowing in the am, besides I am used to plowing around cars on our car lot