1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lots vs. driveways, is it just me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joebio, Oct 1, 2007.

1. joebio

joebio Junior Member
    from 02777

They way I see it I can get up to $75 an hour for my truck doing lots, last year I was able to do 3 to 4 driveways in an hour at $30 to $40 per driveway. There are less pushes and less wear and tear on the equipment.

Am I missing something here, am I overcharging for driveways, undercharging for lots?

I would like to have about 40 driveways this year, figure +25% for before 6am plows, +18% for before 7am. I should be able to do this myself and I do have another truck that my dad will run for me to help if I need it.

Can someone tell me the upside of lots?

2. 01FordPlower

01FordPlower Member
    from PA

Because with driveways you must plow after it stops snowing, so right there is hours of time that you could have been making money during the storm. Then after the storm you plow the driveways and your done. While some lots take hours to plow. Not to mention how much money you are losing out on salt. On driveways you might lays a bag or two of salt. On parking lots we salt before the storm, during the storm, and after we are done plowing. And on these lots we're talking TONS not bags. Most of your profit should come from salting. A lot of wear and tear on your vehicle, but the numbers add up.payup

3. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Lots

Well i lov lots better than driveways i hate taking a $50,000 dump truck into a driveway where u can rip mirrors off, and who wants there driveway salted at dusting or 1/2 inch, plus u always don't need 4-wheel drive in a parking lot, less wear, we make more doing walkways then driveways, hey what ever brings the payup in thats all that matters.

4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

lots are much better IMO because you dont salt a driveway here (people would freak out). and we push most our lots on an hourly basis and we usualy get started on one of our 5-6 acre lots once it's get 1/2" of snow on it. can you imagine pushing 1/2" of snow on a drive if that was the total snowfall for the storm ( customer wouldn't pay you) I had it with drives last year and i'm sticking with commercial, it keeps us busy and i don't have to worry about my drivers finding the right house if they are on a new route. o i forgot to mention tearing up the grass, BOO FUC#KIN HOO i could care less about a residential customers grass...... because if they have grass i know my redbull chuging,tired a** drivers will tear it up and i'll be the one to fix it. o did i mention the a** chewing i got last year because my driver bladed OFF ALL of a customers "chip and seal" drive??? no more residential for us!

5. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I don't do my residentals when there is less than 2". They are not a big deal for me and most are lawn customers also. So it is kinda nice to provide them with year round service....

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

My driveway trucks make 3-4 times more per hour then my lot trucks.

Driveway trucks are smaller, more fuel efficient and overall cheaper setup costs as well.

I will keep taking all the driveways that come my way from other contractors going commercial only. Thanks!

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Based on personal oponion only, most of the time I plow lots in 2wd. My truck is weighted properly to do so. I feel that lots cause less wear on my truck, back draging in 4wd,while and turning is tough on 4wd system. If you have small trucks, might not be bad. The only thing I personally hate, is there are many more distractions and things to hit doing residentals. If I had a smaller truck...or even a back balde, they might be a little bit better.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your price for residential drives is the same as my area 35 for a small drive.
    We average around $130 an hr for lots.
    I think you should be charging more for lots.

Lots are so mush easer than residential drives.
    Wide open spaces.
    Fewer bosses .
    Fewer phone calls. Where are you?, where are you?

Must lots have a 1 inch trigger and some are 0 tolerance.
    You will get to plow or salt every event no matter.

On residential drives you may have a 2 or 3 inch trigger and no salt.

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i agree with snofarmer here commercial lots get about 15 events of action, whereas drives get about 3-4 for us 1/2" of snow keeps 2-3 plows busy on commercial for 6-10 hours. not to mention salt