1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lots of sidwalk to clear...what to use??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lotsoflights, Aug 2, 2004.

1. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

I have a lot of sidewalk to clear in a large area. What do most people use? i was looking at a Holder or a Toolcat? Any ideas???

:confused:

2. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

ATVs..............

64719514ufqmih_ph.jpg

3. Bchlawns

Bchlawns Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have a Simplicity 10 HP 2 stage snowblower that will clear 30" wide and 24" high. I ran that thing all day long last year and had no problems. All you have to do is walk. It ran me $1,200 new i didnt think that was a bad deal at all. It can take a beating. It is a commercial blower. Simplicity makes a good snowblower. They are made in Michigan where they know what snow is and they are bulit for a lot of snow. Good Luck. ATVs are good too if you can reason to buy one if you have a lot of area.
    Bchlawns

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

now i like that atv that is cool i prob would get any work done i would be playing with it to much

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

ATV's work pretty good but if you get dumped on you better plow with it or have a back up plan like a skidsteer or a blower. I ran a atv on a sidewalk crew one year, fun times :nod: I just found the atv to be inefficent in deep stuff but for the most part you could cook along.

How wide? Fairly open? Skid steer or s10 or jeep fit?

6. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

The Sidewalk is at the widest 17 feet wide and 60" at the smallest. I was looking for a piece of equipment that I can use more then just in the winter. I was looking at the Toolcat or the Polaris 4x4.

7. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Actually, one con with ATV's, the plows are extremely light weight. We have a few of them and we go through cutting edges like tissue paper. Springs and bolts are all light weight. I'm sure you can tell by the picture that even the mold board is a little bent. I have been searching high and low for a plow to fit them that is a lot more heavy duty. I only get a couple of seasons or two out of them on the concrete sidewalks. You do have to plow more often with them, but they are definitely a big asset with the sidewalk crews.

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Quads would prob be your best bet. Ive had a 60 inch moose plow for 5 years now with the original cutting edge and it has held up much better then expected. As far as quads go Im not a real big fan of the Polaris line due to the maintained of them and the service manuals are used for multi models and it can be make things difficult to work on. The also have 7 diff types of fluids in the 4wd quads, making them harder to maintain and more costly to run. Even with all of the fluid and 14 - 20 grease fittings then seem to break down more often. Now I have to say this they seem to run and start up the best. Most of the time you don't even have to use the choke to start it up even in the coldest weather. Im don't like the awd system on them either, I prefer to put my quad in 4wd and know Im in 4wd. Theses are all just my opinions not meant to offend anybody....Rob

9. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

Thanks for the input...I would really like to stay away from a quad and get something with enclosed cab...I just didn't like that you need to get in and out of the cab to move the direction of the plow. With the Toolcat it is all controlled by the cab. I also looked at the Holder but, I think that is more for a town or larger complex then what I'm doing. Does anyone else have ideas for equipment?

Craig

10. millenniumland

millenniumland Junior Member

This is what I built!

If you mow grass then this might work out just fine for you, this is what I build to go on our Exmark 48" walkbehinds. This thing works sweet, we can clear city walks in 1 hour, it took us 5 hours the year before. Here are some pics. If you want the specs, let me know and I can email them to you, or anyone else that may be interested.

Thanks
    Kevin Kruizenga
    Millennium Landscape and Lawncare Inc.

business pics 062.jpg

11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

The Holder MultiPark is smaller than the regular Holder tractor... it's downsized and priced cheaper.

12. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

ATV's will probably be your fastest and most time-efficient option. As was said before, they become ineffective with much over about 1 foot of snow. We have been running 4 Polarises for about 6 years now. They not only work great for sidewalks, but also plowing against curbs, pumps, vehicals, and buildings so that you don't have to get so close with the pickup. My ATV's pull in and do 15 minutes worth of work and then the pickup pulls in and doesn't have to edge around anything, all it does is push snow. The cutting edges can be built out of AR steel and doubled or tripled in size so that they wear longer. If I remember correctly I use 3/8" thick by 3 or 3 1/2" cutting edges. They last us about 3 to 4 storms. We do about 50 accounts with them per storm, some big and some just walks. If you have any other Questions just personal poast to me.

13. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Hired help works well also.

14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

what about a CUT with a nice wide snowblower? you could use it to brush cut or grade or sead or till during the rest of year. just a thought.

15. Polar

Polar Junior Member
    from Albany

We did a strip mall for a couple years and we used a Steiner. It is about the size of a garden tractor but it is deisel and it articulates in the middle. Very manuverable and can get into tight places. It had a platic cab but the heat from the engine kept it warm. We got it used with a PLow a broom and a snowblower. we used the broom alot because it didnt damage the sidewalk at all. But in deep snow the plow was nice. But i dont know how much you are looking to spend the Steiners are a little pricey but definetely look into it.

16. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

On some accounts, I use a temp agency. They drop off a few guys, I supply $15/ shovels, and they go to work. If I get a lazy guy, I call and they replace him within the hour or so.I figure I may spend a few grand a year on labor, but no equipment to take care of, and fuel to burn.

17. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I prefer the ATV. 400 Arctic Cat 4X4 5' poly plow :waving:

18. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Find one of those entrepeneurs with the cardboard sign that says "Will work for food".. Drop him off and tell him to get busy while you run and grab him a burger and fries..

Actually, after reading this thread about the blade problems on the ATV's, has anyone ever though about welding wings to the blades like you would on your truck plow? Maybe even run a stiffener from the wong back to the blade for more strength.

What problems are you guys having with your blades anyway??

Shovelers are the best way, maybe some of those single stage blowers along with the shovels too.. Lightweight is the key there, ease of maintenance too.. If they break, throw them away and get another one..

19. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Even with a garden tractor, if I had an ATV plow on it... it'd bend easily. I plow a lot of sidewalks and some are narrow and can get caught on telephone poles, fire hydrants, etc.

If there are cracks on the sidewalk, you might want to go slow. I have actually snapped a front axle in half on a tractor due to going too fast while plowing a sidewalk. I recommend a thicker cutting edge as well, perhaps taller as well, because they get worn down fast, very fast.

Sincerely,
    Jake

20. shepoutside

shepoutside Member

My sidewalk toy :) has blower attachment too, and sweeper

[​IMG]