1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lots of Blizzards for sale?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by plowin-fire, Mar 7, 2011.

1. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Whats up with all the Blizzard Plows for sale on the forum here? There is 8 I think currently? Just bought one because they were suppose to be so great and now no one wants them? I still like mine though....

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't trade it for any other plow on the market today, but since I'm no longer going to be plowing snow, I don't see any reason to keep it...

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You can thank dd for that. Crazy expensive parts, lack of dealer support, and cheapening of the plows. I still love my PRE-DD blizzards, wouldn't trade them for anything!

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

What are the differences in the pre-DD and the current DD blizzards that make them a weaker plow?

5. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Dealer support would be a big thing. I am getting 4 Blizzards from another local contractor, he is selling because dealer support in my area sucks. Great plows, take care of them and they will produce for you. I wouldn't trade mine for anything!

6. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

Blizzards have treated us great and have been awesome plows. We are selling our 4 to jbutch because 1. the dealer support is bad, and 2. we want to update our equipment as it was a good year and we don't want to be wrenching on things. Also, we have some newer western wideouts and want all plows to be able to go on all trucks so we are making everything the same. I wouldn't hesitate at all to have Blizzards. They are great plows.

7. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Why would there be any difference between a new blizzard and a new wide out when they are both dd?

8. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

The mounting on the western is much different and the reason for going western is strictly dealer related. Our western dealer is much better than the blizzard dealer.

9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

:nod:

The only reason I am even contemplating keeping mine right now is because of this guy in NW PA. Otherwise I would be done for sure. But if the price is right 2 more Pre DD LP's are always up for sale.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Aside from mounting and wiring, there is no major difference btw dd and pre dd Blizzards. They are built the same, use the same power units, etc. A frames are a little different to make everything work together but still just as stout. They also integrated a 9 button handheld identical to the MVP plus' which is awesome. They probably will change for the worse, but as of now they're just fine. They are also much different than the Wideouts.

I'll post pics of a pre dd and post dd 8611lp side by side if anyone would like.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. plowin-fire

What is the pre DD you all speak of? Guessing thats what mine is, 2004 model or so?

12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Pre 2010 when they changed the mounting.

13. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Actually, dd bought out Blizzard in 2005, they changed the mounts in 09 I believe. I know they did some tweaking to the blades when they moved the assembly plants, and people have had problems with the chrome on the angle cylinders since then as well. 04-06 plows are typically regarded as the best.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Agreed, but typically I just refer to the new new style as a DD plow, and assumed that's what the big uproar has been about.

15. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

There seem to be a batch of bad/weak a-frames starting with about 2007 plows. I pretty much rewelded my entire a-frame after some of the welds let go.

16. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

You know, I've had pitting on my angle cyl since day one, 860 SW bought as demo. Bought 2 spares in the whse, 5 yrs and have not changed yet. Only minor things, love the plow!

Would love to find a great deal on a 760 SW.

17. plowin-fire

Sounds like I got a good one then! Any good online dealers or local dealers with websites to order from?

18. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre's Service in Erie, PA. Though not a "dealer" anymore he still generally has every part you may need.

19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Also an FYI for you new "ultramount" style Blizzard owners. If you take your push beam off and get the Ultra plates you can hook right up to a wideout or MVP and go.

20. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

:nod: Thumbs Up

He had 2 parts to my house in 2 days that took DD 5 weeks to even thing about getting. He is the man.