1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lot of new guy plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 29, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Lot of new guys plowing?

Does it seem strange that all of a sudden a lot of new guys are showing up here at the end of the season and they just got their first plow jobs now? What have all these people been doing all season to not have someone line up?Meaning customers.:confused:
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I was thinking the same thing. Worst winter in a while and all these new guys trying to get in.
  3. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

I have been a shoveler this winter. The guy I used to work for @#$% me over (dont feel like getting into it.) I had planned on plowing my self this year but then the lack of snow (among other things) stopped me but now I got a new truck with a plow on it from my grandfather (i inherated it) I am a landscaper and with this storm coming to nh my phone is ringing off the hook so I figured now is as good of time as any to start.
  4. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

There is always room for more competition, and customers who want continued reliability and professional service will be faithful to their long term contractors. If they jump ship, there is a win for both sides. Service businesses that last do so for a reason and clients who shop the phone book for new contractors regularly also do so for a reason.
  5. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Somethings not right, conspiracy?
  6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

They were surfing craigslist for customers then googled snow removal, and some of the threads popped up.
  7. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I have noticed alot of new one on here I wonder if thats why alot of old members are not posting anymore? As long as they don't show up in my neighborhood I don't mind.
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Same here lost 4 driveways I push them 4 times this winter Jan 3 times and 1 time in feb and First march I dont have them I dont seen any more snow this year
    I found out from 2 people that they only paying 2 bucks less then what I was charging
    There is a new guy running new truck new plow Think he going trying start mowing service to I seen him in the Stihl dealer buying New stuff He was talking it up about the Government loan he got to start a business Funny part he didnt know what trimmer to buy Walk out with curve shaft homeowner model

So I will see him running around this summer , trying lowball my summer time work

They come and they go
  9. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

Ah, thats why there was no snow this season. someone bought a truck to get in the business. Same thing happened the first year I bought a plow truck.
  10. snoway63

snoway63 Senior Member

Actually pretty comical, Ive seen alot of guys buy plows for this past winter thinking they were gonna hit it big time, because of the past winters and now you see them trying to sell them for almost what it cost them. This happens every yr we get big snowfall everyone and there brother buys a plow
  11. dubya

dubya Junior Member
    from NY

Yes, I think God has a sense of humor.