1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

LOSTJOB & want to plow for winter

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by FBI, Oct 21, 2009.

1. FBI

FBI Junior Member

Hey all, well i live in northeast Ohio, lost job to down sizing & i have a F250 with a plow used for personal & family plowing. i want to plow & salt this winter. if anyone can offer any advise as far as charging for plow services & for salting.

how is salting figured, by the ton, sq ft???

should i have a plowing contract? if so could anybody supply a copy or advise me on how to set it up or where to find a contract??

is plowing charged by the job, push, condition of pavement, gravel etc..

thanks in advanced for any & all help..
    FBI
    CARPE DEIM

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing is very fun for a part timer. But if want to be in the biz. Your going in the hole first. as they say ,you need commercial insurance on your truck and business insurance. Better have a few bucks just in case you break something. Then you need to do some advertising . Then after all that you'll have the right to charge 20.00 to plow a driveway.

3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

check with your local DPWs and Highway depts see if they will sub you out thats what I do.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Best thing you can do is use the SEARCH button.
    Every question you asked has already been answered......try reading other posts

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

Search for another contractor and sub contract to them to make sure that this is going to something that your interested in don't forget to your general liability insurance, your commercial auto insurance and workmans comp. find out how much it cost you to operate your equipment per hour and then charge that plus what you want to make as profit salt is charged by the bag the ton the application and the sq ft welcome to plowing

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Don't mean to hijack this post, but how did you end up a Bear fan and not a Colt/Peyton Manning fan! Don't get me wrong, I'm gald you are, as I am, I'm just curious since the Colts have had a great track record in the last 5-7 years.