1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost two comm. accounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Dec 13, 2009.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Well I lost two accounts this year obviously to lower bids. The first one I seen coming since I lost the lawn account to this contractor anyway when he cut the lawn all he did was cut and bag. I never would see any weeds pulled out of the landscape or edging done but yet he got the job and now he is plowing the building. So far we have had one plow-able event and he never plowed out the fire-lane,we'll see if he does it the next time.

The second one was approximately 6500 square foot lot that I used to get 55.00 to plow and 30.00 salt up to 3" price went up after 3". I would shovel off the handicap ramp and put down some of their salt on the ramp, anyway I see the new guy is plowing, salting the lot ,and doing the sidewalks at the corner (the sidewalks were just installed this past summer) now if he is charging the same (which I doubt seeing how my sister in-law works there) he had to low-ball me to get the account. Well thanks for letting me rant good luck out there guys and gals.
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

We have had that happen alot around here too... we lost 3 $75.00 parking lots this season to underbidding. And a few driveways to low bidders/people trying to do it themselves this year!
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicOver here people had the same mindset. Theres a recession going on and the only thing that keeps you on is a good relationship with the facility manager.' However if they get a bid thats too good, now they take it and take their chances. We are just gonna havta keep our heads down and wait till this blows over.:cool:
  4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah I'm keeping my head up. I did pick up one account about the same size as the second one I described for the same price and no shoveling required, so I guess I'm only down one comm.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Yes cuz your price seems fair
  6. FLagen23

FLagen23 Junior Member

I was lucky enough to keep all of mine.... I visit all of my customers in June and push for early contracts! You would be surprised on how much easier it is being the first to ask!