1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lost the car wash account where the guy was here asking about buying a plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by daveintoledo, Dec 17, 2007.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i went out today to do a second plowing, and the guys brother said they where not happy with when i came out, they wanted me to come out today only after all the snow fell,

now we did discuss that if more then 6 inches was falling, i would be out twice or more to do it....

so yesturday i plowed at 8 inches only because the weather was so bad i couldnt get there till then.... four more inches on the lot this morning, ...

he wanted me to wait and plow 12 inches of snow.....i was very polite and told him i would never do that, its way too hard on the equipment ....

funny thing, the guy was and is very nice....

there is a shop next door that sells plowes, of course the guy told him he would come and plow on call, for less then i was charging,

remember, this guy was upset because the plow company raised his price to 100 per push and the old company did it for fifty..(thats why he is out of business) i met him in the middle, oh well, the guy even asked if i wanted him to sign a contract, i said since he was a plowsite guy, a handshake would do... never again....

no great loss, i signed the machine shop today that hired a lowballer with an atv, and of course he couldnt do it.... i have a nice signed contract with a two inch trigger, and plowing with the storm at my discression, as many times as it takes..... same price, smaller lot, and 100 yards from my shop.....

lesson learned

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

you're better off, this guys clearly a cheap ass and doesnt wanna pay to have work done, let him deal with it, he will go through 5-6 plow guys this season im sure. its not worth the headach to have to deal with penny pinchers like this.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

out with the cheap in with the payup

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, I remember that thread! Never thought there was shady business coming into Plowsite, but it does sound like you got the better deal after all.

5. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I get the same thing in the summer with my landscaping. its always "the kid next door will do it for $15" they always come back when the kid says he cant do it anymore....then its $60 not 30....

he will be back...then the price is double i love it they always will pay it too..

6. ivyhill1

ivyhill1 Junior Member

lost the carwash...

This is kind of related to the back and forth with the carwash owner. I have some board members of a large HOA that are gun shy from the big ice that central PA got last year (it burned up their budget in 4 days with a month left in the season). I have a nice solid, signed contract through the property management company with a 2 inch trigger and all reporting decisions left up to me and my sub, who runs my equipment on the site.
    After a lame 3-4" inches 2 weeks ago, a board member called me (on my sub's cell phone!!) and informed me that we were doing a good job but "didn't need to be plowing" and from now on should only show up when called by the HOA. I explained that that is not the contract that they agreed to and he sort of insisted. Then I got an email from the property management company asking for justification of the work and I pointed to the 2 inch trigger. Then he asked who I spoke to at the board.
    So now I'm stuck in the middle a bit, and need to clean this up gracefully. I think that I need to write an addendum to the contract allowing the HOA to make all the calls but very clearly taking any responsibility of reporting decisions or arrival times from me AND placing all liability for these decisions and an unsafe site on the HOA. It'll still be a money maker if I do this because they will wait out a storm rather than call me and then I'll have to have to take twice the time $$, use twice the product $$$ and u$e larger equipment $$$$. I just would like to know how forceful to be in the revised contract language to ensure that I'm not on the hook for their decisions without getting canned altogether. If I'm not crystal clear then I know it'll burn me later. Any thoughts?

7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

First welcome to plowsite. Second no way no how would I let them make the call. I had a hoa that wanted to do just that and I said thanks but no thanks. No matter what you will still be held liable. Third, start a new thread so you get as many responses as possible. When you go into this forum, click on new thread and post what you posted above.Don't want to hijack another members thread.

8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Dave it sounds as if you are going to be the winner in the long run on this one. I guees I missed the thread that you mentioned in your earlier post. I agree the best revenge is when they call for you to come back. Price goes up. payup payup

9. ivyhill1

ivyhill1 Junior Member

Thanks for the welcome, the advice and the instruction... I've never done this before.

10. atozcorp

atozcorp Junior Member

Better of without that contract. Some people want everything for nothing.

11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Dave- Sorry to hear it. I remember that guy well, and I remember how we had to cram down his throat the costs he would have if he did it himself. He just couldnt understand the cost and work involved in plowing. It sounds like your better off anyways, now just let it snow!