1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost side to side on 80's plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PinkyRingz, Jan 22, 2009.

1. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

I have an OLD western plow, 7.5' straight blade with the cable controls. I lost my side to side controls. I disconnected the cables and they work fine and it powers when moving the control stick side to side but the blade doesnt move. Took cover off where cable connects to valve/pump tried moving the little lever thing inside and it won't move at all. I think maybe a little gear or something inside is busted. Didnt want to take valve part off because I dont know if there are springs or whatever inside.
    Does anyone know how to repair this or have a schematic? I am not sure what year the plow is but it's off an 80's chev truck. Other then that the plow was working perfectly. It stopped working during an extreme cold snap we had here (35 below zero). Need some help. Thanks for your time!
  2. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Could it just be frozen? Got a heated garage you can thaw it out in?
  3. PinkyRingz

PinkyRingz Member

It was put in the heated garage when we first noticed it because we had to do soem welding on the frame. Then when while it was all warm and dry we tried it and was still doing that. It was in the heated garage for three days. So I'm pretty sure it wasn't froze.
  4. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

it needs adjusted take it to a dealer and letem fix it bielieve me i don't mess with thank god i have a good friend that installs them and he knows alot about these cable plows very touchy mu up and down cable broke the other week and he put it on then he spent like 3 hours adjusting every thing back cuz it every thing just slowing went and it works like a champ now so just my input or got to plow school lol
  5. ronforsnow

ronforsnow Junior Member

try westerns web site you can download the complete man. good luck
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

you are on the right track, but if you don't ground the solenoid while moving the lever, the pump will not run. the joystick in the cab grounds the solenoid when you move it side to side. so move the lever with your finger one way or the other, while at the same time, grounding the solenoid with a jumper wire. if the blade angles properly to each side, then the issue is with your joystick and/or cable.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707