1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lost reverse

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by traviswalker007, Dec 16, 2007.

1. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

2003 chevy silverado 3500 4x4. was out plowing last night and lost reverse??? have all other gears plus 4x4, when i put it in reverse the drive shaft does not spin...any ideas

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you lost reverse in the transmission just like you said... Most likely needs to be rebuilt by a professional!

3. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Yea u lost ur tranny...... bring it in.

Bummer.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

just go straight:D

5. traviswalker007

I Was Kind Of Expecting A Little More Technical Info, Do I Have A Allison Tranny, Or The 460le?? And If Its An Allison I Know There Is An Eletrical Switch If Engaged Will Cause The Tranny To Not Go In Reverse...are There Any Knowledgable Tranny Guys Out There?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Travis, is your truck 6.0, 8.1 or D-Max?

6.0's use the 4L80E

8.1's and D-Max will have the Allison...

Generally a 4L80E won't loose reverse due to an electrical problem..only a internal mechanical problem.

But an Allison can.. but it can be caused by different things.

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It is more than likely the reverse band. I had the same problem last year at this time. Snowing like a b!tch and then nothing. It was about 1500 otd. when it was all said and done. The guy also redid second gear too. Said it was a little burnt? But yeah It is the reverse band in the tranny. There are 2 prongs if you will on it that catch on something to engage the tranny and you pry broke them. Thats what I did. Hope you get it all figured out and taken care of before it snows again.

Ryan

8. traviswalker007

I have a 6.0L, so then i doubt i have an allison tranny..its a heavy duty dump truck, and with only 54,000 milse im surprised...so if this tooth is broken, do they offer a heavy duty replacement? do they need to drop the hole tranny out, i mean i just go this thing serviced and the guy said everything was ok...if the teeth were bad would there not be metal shavings in the tranny fluid?? is my mechanic screwing me?? what should/or can i do. any TSB from chevy on this problem...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since it's a 6.0 then yea, you have the 4L80E... and they will break the lugs off the rear band without warning.... Nothing your mechanic could have predicted if that is what actually happened here....

Many time's on the 80E's, if they break the rear band lugs it's usually do to an uncontrolled line pressure problem (which their well known for). Did you notice any hard shifting before it lost reverse? If so, then make sure they connect a scanner to the truck and check for any codes and check that the EPC solenoid isn't showing a high pressure condition or anything pertaining an over pressure problem, or I can promise you it will happen again. These 80E's have the capability to develope up wards of 500 psi of actual line pressure if allowed.. and the high pressure WILL break internal hard parts if run too long with the elevated line pressure...

You can road test it to see if the rear band is in fact broken...by checking it to see if it has compression braking in manual first gear.

Put the truck in manual first and accelerate to about 15 mph, then let completely off the throttle, can you feel the engine slowing the truck down? If not and it just feels like it's "freewheeling", then you can be sure it is in fact the rear band that failed.

The trans would have to be pulled and completly disassembled in order to replace the band.

There is no factory TSB's on this specific problem that I know of..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  10. traviswalker007

If the truck does in fact slow itself down is it still an enternal problem that would require a teardown?? could a cable of snapped or freyed as in the other post on here?? could it be anything other than something major..speculating here a bit i guess, but worst case is a tear down, what would be minimal?? i dont mind drooping 1500 for a rebuild, but if i have to, what can i put in it to make it stronger..and if it needs a rebuild then should i replace all the gears as well or just reverse...u seem to be very knowledgable and i apreaciate your help.

11. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

I Have A Auto Repair/transmission Service And Your Transmission Is A 4l80e If Indeed It Is A 6.0l Engine Most Likely Cause That I Have Seen Espicially On Plow Trucks And Tow Trucks With The Same Set Up Is The Band Has Broken Which Will Require A Teardown To Fix It But If Its Affordable To You I Would Purchase A Dealer Unit ($1975 Here In Philadelphia Region) Comes With A 3year/75000 Mile Warranty Good At Any Gm Dealer In The Nation And You Can Install It Yourself. They Still Warranty It If You Do. Now........ The Fix So This Doesnt Happen So Soon Again Make Sure You Stop Completely From Forward Travel Before Shifting To Reverse Because That Is What Breaks The Band Good Luck In The Future And Cmonnnnnnnnnn Snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!payuppayuppayup:drinkup:

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

No cable broke. When mine went down I was right there watching the guy do most of it. There is only 1 cable running into the tranny, except the other tranny cooler lines and what not. The tranny will be out for atleast a full day. Unless you want you can go to your local tranny shop and I am sure they have one on hand and they can swap them out. That will still take atleast a half day if not more right there. Come to think of it, mine had about the same miles on it when mine went too. Accually I think the same amout. WEIRD?!?!?!?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well the road test will tell you for sure if the band is broken, but even if it does have compression braking it is still an internal failure of some type as they don't just "lose" reverse gear from an electrical or control problem, and I hate to take that wishful thinking from you but I'm 99% sure the trans is going to have to come out..as I think your gonna find that it doesn't have manual first engine braking.

This trans is a low mileage one so I think if you have it disassembled, your gonna find it's in pretty nice shape... now of course I have no idea how this truck is used or how it's treated but the 80E's are a very tough trans and the only fault's they really have is the reverse band failure and if they're really abused they'll take out the low roller sprag assembly (just like the Turbo 400's the granddaddy of the 80E), and the uncontrolled line pressure problem that I mentioned before (although that can be caused by several things).

If it were my truck, I'd pull it apart and give it a though look over to see what were dealing with first. Many times the clutches are still like new in these transmissions, even after years of use and tons of miles..I've pulled clutches out of these transmissions that still had the part numbers (stamped in ink) on the friction linings! So it may not need any clutches and you can spend the money on upgrading the parts that really matter.. They really are a good tranny and with a couple upgrades can be made to take a ton of abuse..

And as far as upgrades go, I'd put an aftermarket 34 element sprag assembly in it (stock is 16 element) and use an aftermarket Kevlar lined rear band. As that's the major 2 weak points in them and if you upgrade those 2 items, it will really help to ensure you get a trouble free and long life out of it. And don't forget to add the biggest trans cooler you can find also... very important to an auto!

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Now that's just crazy talk right there. :jester:

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

The part in the Allision that you guys are talking about is called the NSBU switch. (Nutral Saftey Backup Switch) It can case all types of hell on your nite of plowing. Last year my truck and another truck had them go out in a wet snow. I made my truck display park while in drive, 1 while in park, 3 while in N. Reverse there, but not in the right spot on the gear shifter. Also makes the truck SLAM into the top on the gear. Had to drive home 40 miles with out 4th, 5th, or overdrive.... in a stright pipe diesel! :dizzy: Turned out to be a 57 dollar part I had changed out in about 30 minutes on the first truck, 10 min on the second.

16. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

BUT YOU KNOW ITS THE TRUTH WITH MOST PLOW OPERATORS AND ITS A HUGE:nono::D

17. traviswalker007

its at the mechanis and he is going to pop the pan 2morow and let me know. I have also heard of the reverse servo piston failing as well but who knows. I do know if i take it to a tranny shop they will charge me 1700 to 2100 to fix the issue, that is root cause related and they will not automatically replace all internal parts, if the pass oem specs they will stay. if i buy a reman tranny from jasper, or gm i can get a warranty but my mechanic said 3,060 total.... i almost fell down, sound expensive, so i called jasper and the guy said his reman trannys run 2100, plus a 1,000 core charge?? so im thinking my mechanic is trying to pull one over on me..$960.00 in labor plus a 100 pallet fee....am i getting robbed in illinois??

18. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I put a GM reman in a 1993 K-2500 a few years back, we paid just over $3000.00 with install and sales tax.

19. traviswalker007

Hey Philly,
    What do u think here!! i called jasper way over priced...GM can take a hike, if im paying for a waranty then why dont the fix the one i got, Its up at Todds right now, but he cant rebuild them he sends them out, anybody else here in sandwich that knows this tranny..dont mind droping 1500 or so for a rebuild with upgrades...but im not gonna spend 3,000 unless i have no other choice. I have seen alot of these on ebay from 799 up to 1700 for rebuilds.

20. traviswalker007

Hey Philly,
    What do u think here!! i called jasper way over priced...GM can take a hike, if im paying for a waranty then why dont the fix the one i got, Its up at Todds right now, but he cant rebuild them he sends them out, anybody else here in sandwich that knows this tranny..dont mind droping 1500 or so for a rebuild with upgrades...but im not gonna spend 3,000 unless i have no other choice. I have seen alot of these on ebay from 799 up to 1700 for rebuilds.