1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost my transmission fluid out a hole in bottom of tranny: 2001 Ford F-350

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by micromachine, Dec 27, 2010.

1. micromachine

micromachine Junior Member
    from NH

I was having trouble with my truck today, a 2001 F350 4x4 gas 5.4L truck. It didn't seem to have much power rolling the snow and stalled on me frequently when I shifted into reverse (then wouldn't start again for about 20 seconds after I let the truck set...if I tried to restart to quickly it would just crank and not start but waiting 20 seconds or so seemed to allow it to fire right back up. Anyway, after a short while of driving it I noticed a puddle trail of red so I stopped and looked around the plow for leaks but didn't see anything until I looked under my truck and saw a large pool of red fluid that dripped out from a big circle-hole under my transmission case... I pulled the truck over and parked it and haven't moved it since. I took a few pictures if anyone has any idea what the big hole might be (I assume there was a plug or something there?) or what might of caused it to come out...

Thanks.

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

2. Sound Man

Sound Man Junior Member

That looks to be the inspection hole for the flywheel. If fluid is leaking from there I would think maby a torque converter problem or trans input shaft seal falure.

3. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

puked seal

The missing plug is just a rubber plug for the flex-plate inspection port, it appears that you have puked the front seal on the trans, quite common on E40d trans, usually occours with a load on in reverse, aka plowing in 4x4 or backing up a heavy trailer. Not a big fix if you do any of your own wrenching but the trans does need to come out. any questions just ask.

Alex