1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lost my first job.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by vintage steel, Jan 22, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

The first job I got with my truck was the convenience store down the street. It is an L shaped parking lot. I did it a couple times. I pulled all the snow back and piled it all on one end, by the dumpster. I was careful and meticulous, it looked great. Took me a little over 30 min (shoveling included) Being my first job, I way under bid it (of course) I was charging them $35.
    Two days ago they had someone come in and offer to do it for $25!
    They did a s#!t job.
    I told the store owner, he got what he payed for and, that was a $25 dollar plow job. I said, if he wants it done right, I would be more than happy to come back and do it ...for $45.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What color turban does he wear?

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Just about as bad as a locally owned chain restaurant close to a lot I plow.

I watched the owner run circles around the lot in his car to pack down the 1.5" of snow that was there.

I don't think his lot has been plowed once this year.

4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Welcome to the industry. People always think cheaper is better until they have their first slip and fall lawsuit. I ALWAYS raise my price when I lose a customer and they want me back after my replacement does not show or does a **** job.
    And yes, the turbin tops are noted for this crap in my area.

5. grandview

Buy a Slurpee and get a push out of the lot for half price.

[​IMG]

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Some owners don't understand also that they lose a lot of business having a crappy lot. I've had people tell me that they've gone to places and turned around after seeing how bad the parking lot was.

7. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

Just what i was thinking ....:laughing:

8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Vintage Steel: Happens all the time .... Post #5 show grandview's work ..... He drove from NY to ID to plow for $25.00 ... No one around NY will hire him. Please study that picture to learn what not to do !!!

9. grandview

That's the Mobil station next door.I just push all the snow into their lot.

10. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

"That's the Mobil station next door.I just push all the snow into their lot."

I thought I was the only one that did that.

11. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

In my town even the holiday inn doesn't plow.

8'' of wet slushy snow that turned to solid ice ruts that nice.
    Didn't care in the slightest.

Their lawn care sucks too, imagine that.

12. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Reason being most Arabs don't care about their property. Simple look at their homeland..

13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Gentleman, I normally don't get excited when I see random comments about other races/cultures. I must also say that you are BOTH entitled to your opinions. With that being said, I must tell you that no matter what the culture, there are good and bad in all people.

In the town I live in, I have 3 accounts that are run by Indians (the country, not native Americans). One is a convenience store and the other 2 are hotels (Quality and a Hampton Inn). They are some of the nicest people I have ever worked with. They pay on time, no hassles about the amount of the bill etc.

They do try and see how much they can save by cutting various corners, BUT, no more than any of my other clients. Heck, we all do it!

This is another misconception that I need to clear up. When you see a person wearing what looks like a turban behind the counter, they are not Arab, they are Indian and the thing on their head is called a Pagri. While it looks almost the same, there are some differences, but in all honesty, it doesn't matter. They are also NOT Muslims. To the best of my knowledge, al qaeda (terrorists) do not run grocery stores to make money, Lol. The profits are much better running opium through the golden triangle. Not all Muslims are terrorists either, but that is another topic.

I guess I am telling you all of this because I don't want anyone to walk away from a possible good money account based on prejudice. There are a few stores in my city run by Indians and the lot was NEVER plowed, so I do understand where all of this comes from. Just don't EVER let one experience or another's ideas and/or opinions let you make up your own.

14. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

What does your contract say about cancelling service?

15. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I don't do contracts. I know that is frowned upon around here but, I just don't like contracts (do have a waiver). I give good prices and do exceptional work. Call me back, don't call me back, I don't care, I am a small, 1 truck, 2 man, operation, all my equipment is paid for and everyone is extremely satisfied with my punctuality and performance. there's more snow out there, enough for everyone.ussmileyflag

16. grandview

So technically you didn't lose anything. You were hired to plow one time and you did your job and was paid for it.

17. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

As much as it sucks to lose a customer, this is exactly right. I don't sign contracts with every account, but I get signatures when I'm not 100% comfortable with the owner or when there's high liability involved. With that said, I know that technically any one of these "verbal only" clients could drop me tomorrow, and I'm finacially prepared for that. Don't get discouraged though...there's lots of work out there.

18. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

At 35 bucks a push I didn't loose much, but the deal was, I was their plow guy. No contract but we did have a deal for the winter. I'm not the least bit upset about the situation, they can get a crap job for $25 if they think it's a better deal.

19. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Superdog1, thank you for speaking up.

20. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

No problem. I don't think that anyone here is a hater or honestly really know why they have the opinions they do? While some of us have reason to think and feel the way we do, others only know what they have been told. With that being said, I always encourage others to at least try it first. You may not like what happens or you may love it?, but you never know until you do??? Thumbs Up