1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost instrument cluster on 04F350

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ducaticorse, Jan 2, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

In the 12/30 storm, my plow was running with a short unknown to me. i assume it's connected, but may not be. The truck at the time eventually shut down all together, and had symptoms of a dead battery. Although I was able to get it started again without a jump, it ran poor and quit three more times limping back to the yard. So there may be an issue with the alternator too. I charged the batt over night, and I checked the fuses under the dash, and they are good. Any thoughts? Plow is not plugged in rights now.

2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

Check the alternator output, have it load tested to make sure it is working correctly. If the alternator is bad, I strongly suggest replacing it with a Motorcraft unit or a new aftermarket from a supplier like Denso, a lot of remans use the wrong regulator and it causes problems.

And fix the short.

3. ducaticorse

from we

But what about the cluster? If its not the fuse, what else could have happened? I have removed the short from the equation already.

4. hatefulmechanic

The cluster will, for lack of better terms, freak the hell out if it does not have sufficient voltage.

Are all functions dead in the cluster?

5. hatefulmechanic

Also, as far as testing goes, I prefer to test them on the vehicle, a lot of times bench testing them will yield **** results.

6. ducaticorse

from we

Whole cluster is dead. Batt has a full charge from the trickle charger. Fuse is good.

7. hatefulmechanic

I have had a few of these trucks have connection issues at a harness to the right of the steering column, its a green connector. May want to check it to see if it is loose. It is the power feed to the cluster and a few other things.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My 02 did that. There was a short in the shifter or column. Recheck fuse #46.

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I had something similar thing happen to my 2008 F450. Everything shut down , truck would lose all electrical power. Turned out to be the place that installed my plow had piggy backed into the fuse block under the hood for the plow controller. Was causing the main control to the computer to shut down. My suggestion is take it to the dealer to get it fixed.

10. CHCSnowman

CHCSnowman Senior Member
    from Indiana

I agree with Grandview. My 2004 F250 did same thing. Wire in tilt wheel had bad spot, most likely it is happening when you put truck in reverse with plow on. Replace fuse #46 whether it is bad or not then have column repaired.

11. ducaticorse

from we

Electrical issues are the bane of my existence.. I checked out the alt and the reg is shot. Will replace that tomorrow and ill let yall know what comes of it. Thank you much.

12. ducaticorse

from we

Replaced alternator today. No dash still. Took the whole truck back to the parts store. They hook it up in truck and says failed regulator. Rip it out put another new one in, failed regulator. WTF is going on here? I checked #46 and it is good, but the question begs to be asked, what does a left low beam headlight fuse have to do with my dash? The blinkers work, the direction arrows show up on the dash too, horn etc

13. ducaticorse

from we

We have snow coming in on sunday and I cant afford to be having this issue right now.

14. grandview

Maybe they changed position. In the 02 that fuse ran the regulator and dash cluster .So when it popped the reg,stopped charging and gauges stopped working.

15. hatefulmechanic

If the IP does not power up, the regulator will not work.

Did you check the connector I referred to by the column?

16. grandview

17. ducaticorse

from we

According to the manual, fuses # 45 and 31 both are associated with the instrument cluster. THey both appear to be solid.

18. grandview

Need to find the regulator fuse and check it.

19. hatefulmechanic

You did verify you have power at the big cable out of the alternator right? There is a fusible link in that circuit that blows sometimes when a big load is on them.

Test light to ground on clip, tip of light to large battery stud on alternator with engine off. If you have a light, no problem. But I got a sneaking suspicion the fusible link is popped.

Also, there is no regulator fuse on this.

20. ducaticorse

from we

There must be some other part or wiring that was effected by the shorted out plow.