1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost high beams on Western Uni Mount

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 97Wrangler, Jan 2, 2004.

1. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

Can anyone help me out. I have 97 Wrangler with a 6'5" Western Uni Mount. Everything has been fine until recently the high beams stopped working. When you put them on the standard jeep headlights come back on, When you go to low beams the plow lights come back on. Any ideas.
    Thanks

2. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

you have 2 headlight relays
    1 for low beam
    1 for high beam

you could switch relays to confirm thats your problem or replace them both,its only a matter of time before the other will fry.

also make sure you have dielectric grease on connectors to avoid "green" corrosion. that would be a good start, relays are about $10.00 each. cheap fix.

any questions JUST POST IT. GOODLUCK pt.purplebou

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The hi beam relay is the one with the white, red & green wires on it. You should find them in the area behind the drivers side headlight.

4. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

Ok guys. Checked the relays and they are OK. Still no High beams any more ideas.

5. #1 plowtech

very east y

6. #1 plowtech

Sorry my 2 1/2 daughter is trying to post a reply!!:)

Very easy to test:

on your plowside plug,hold in your hand with notch in plug facing toward the ground, the lower row,very right large pin is for your high beam. take a piece of wire from + side of battery and touch pin. It should light up hi beams. If not it could be your harness on plow side or simply a burned out bulb.

if your truck lights are on,plow hooked up,low beams on plow work,but when you switch over to hi beams and your truck lights go on,your relay is not working. if relay does work trace forward to grill plug. (this is all assuming lights worked previously) Start with this and post a reply how it works. If you need further assistance call plowtech @ 1-847-459-6363, happy to walk u thru it. Goodluck, plowtech:waving:

7. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

Thanks that information was great. I ran the test you posted and the High Beams do come on. What would be the best way to test the relays or harness

8. #1 plowtech

on your truckside plug, hold it so the notch is facing UP,
    take a test light ,connect to ground on battery,touch probe to + side to make sure it works. turn on hi-beams, on plug upper row, far right big pin should light up. But it probably wont b'cuz you have another problem.

To test relay, you can switch it with the low beam, to make it easy.(if u switch them, make sure you hold each relay in the same position) try that for now and Post a reply with the results,
    you can test the above in 10 minutes. Goodluck, Plowtech:waving: 1-847-459-6363

9. 97Wrangler

97Wrangler Junior Member

#1 Plowtech you called it right. The pin is dead. I switched the relays and found it not to be the relay. Any other ideas on tracing the problems.