1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lost biggest account to beet juice!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04red2500, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 04red2500

04red2500 Member
    from MI

Well I have now heard it all we lost a very large account to some body who says there going to use beet juice as ice melter for the parking lot. has anyone ever heard of this before????

2. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have herd of beet juice in our liquid salt up here to lower the temp rate that it would melt at. that came from one of our state plow drivers

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you could use it as well -

its one part of lots of experimenting im doing this yr

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

there are cities using it around here.........

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Straight beet juice? Are you sure they just aren't using it as a carrier like everyone else is.

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Did you lose the account because of price?

7. dmontgomery

I cannot swear to that, let me look and I will get back to you.......

8. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Do not use beet juice!!!! I know a guy that had to replace 10 garage doors and carpet in the entry ways of four buildings due to the staining from the juice.

9. dmontgomery

they are mixing it with the Brine.....for pre-treatment it seems mainly

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was going to call you a an idiot, like you did to me in another thread but I thought I would give you a chance to correct yourself.:drinkup: Beet juice has to have a carrier or it is useless.

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

At least you're not bitter about it and were able to let it go... :D :drinkup:

12. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

We are blending a solution that is primarily beet juice (Geomelt 55) with salt brine this year at an 80/20 mix (80% brine, 20% Geomelt).
    We will be using is both for anti-icing (pre-storm) and pre-weeting at the spinner as we apply the product.
    Salt brine alone only allowed me to us it when pavement temps were +15F or higer. This ratio will let me work in the 0 degree range.
    Yes, the beet juice tracks....it is a lot thicker than just brine (and stinks too) but that is what makes it ahere to the pavement better, especiallly in pre-storm treatments.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can forgive but I can't forget. LOL

14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

check out the video i posted under the title Geomelt

15. big acres

big acres Senior Member

This is a sign of the times guys... Last year I had a couple of major corporate accounts request organic fertilizer. Theses companies want to use the word "organic" in their marketing. There are also several new green certifications that companies want to earn at tout... kind of like ISO9000 manufacturing processes.

I just attended a luncheon where the CEO of a major property mgmt co basically urged HOAs to demand green mowing techniques like... not mowing in the mid-day heat because it's shown to use mow fuel. We all know it isn't realistic, but the office types are'nt always realistic, are they?

I'd say, put together all the info you can against beet juice... tracking, etc... What if customers step into their beige car interior and stain the carpet, etc...? Then explain why it makes more sense for public roads, not private lots. jmo

16. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Red, could you pm me the name the site? Would love to observe the results as the winter progresses.

17. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

to answer a question with a question, have you?

times are changing and we must stay ahead of the pack, the market is demanding "greener" solutions and it is our job to educate our customers which is the best solution for their area.

you should ask your distributors if they are selling any mixed products and if so are those manufactures going to have a free information seminar some time soon (if not already). lots can be learned by a little internet searching too.

check out a product called SWP, its made around here so not sure if you have it available to you but I'm sure someone has something similar.

good luck, and don't lose another account due to salt only.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Don't lose another account to salt only?!? It's still the best thing you can do. You basically need to commit and offer one or the other.

The real challenge will be to have the ability to offer ALL of your customers both. Conversion costs to deliver both across the board is unlikely for most. The real commitment of equipment and material required won't be easy or standard.

Yea "Greener". They all love the term.................fantastic marketing. People aren't going liquid because it's the latest and greatest and greener. The lack of ability to attain and afford salt this year is the predicament. Driving numbers down is the other problem.

I'm thinking most people here have to commit to one or the other. Carcinogens, nasty tracking, accelerated corrosion along inconsistent brine batches are real concerns with liquids. I think we'll see a real trial and error happening this year with liquids.

19. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

so whats the net green effect when people buy more chemicles like carpet stain remover to get rid of the beet juice?

20. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Thinking like that will ruin the whole green thing. ;)