1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost an account before the storm, then had to plow it anyway.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dogplow Dodge, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

So, I lost one of my larger snow plowing accounts.

10 hours into the storm, I get a call and it's the rep calling and leaving a message about how the guy who replaced me had "mechanical problems with his truck, and woudn't come back".

So as I walked into the house, after doing our first run (some places required 3 runs), Shovelmonkey wife says to me.... "boy I'm so glad we didn't have to do that place this time".

As I was agreeing with her, my voicemail was playing the message from the manager saying that they "needed my help, and would I be able to clear the property". Shovelmonkey cries out..... "Oh, man! We don't have to go there do we ??? ".

Needless to say, we went back out, and did our first of 3 runs to the place, and fulfilled their request.

Yesterday, I dropped off the bill, and they were so grateful that I had come back to "save the day", after being let go for this other guy....

:D

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Cool.

Did they sign a new contract with you, at a new price?

Because there going to go shopping around again.

3. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

That's good customer relations and chances are you will get it back if not this year maybe next.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

As tough as it is to go back to someone that dumped you for the cheap guy and save the day, it goes towards your character... some days character wins... good for you for going back to do it and not telling them to stick it.

5. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

That's okay. It's not a "shopping around issue" It's a cronyism issue. A nepotism issue. The job was lost due to the new people who took charge having a friend who "wanted the job". I was actually relieved when I was told I didn't have to do it, as it takes 4 man hours to finish, working it very efficiently. on a standard 6" snow depth storm.

The job is a bit far from home, and a real PITA to do, although over the years, I've become extremely proficient at it. If they decide to continue using me, then I'll just live with the fact I'll be making more money:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I don't think this was about the cost (although I could be wrong). I think this was about getting someone in there because they liked them better than me.

I know they were desperate, as the guy who was supposed to do the job left after one half assed push of the parking area. Never touched the additional parking area, sidewalks or anything else. He said he wouldn't come back till he got the truck fixed, and by that time you would have need a loader in there.

Either he left because he had real issues with the vehicle (which I wouldn't wish on anyone)

or

he was overwhelmed with the job

or

he was presented with the opportunity to make more money somewhere else.

Only he knows....

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

OK, that clears it up.:dizzy:

If you don't care about the account, and they let ya go for whatever reason.

Why go back for a one time deal?
    id have said see ya :waving:

character... they were using(as in taking advantage) their old contractor.
    misplaced loyalism.
    You dont go back to were you were fired from unless you get a better deal than before.

8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I can say that I have had customers before that I have lost their work to a new GM coming on board and getting his buddy in. Buddy figured out he could not handle the work that was presented. Get the all mighty beg call to come save the GM. Save the new GM, raise prices... wait for the next new GM to come in, do it all over. Some of these factory's seem to get a new guy every 6 months.

The accounts that I try to loose by over pricing always seem to be the most profitable... every time. payup

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Why are you always so negative about everything ?

Even better yet....

Why do I ever respond to you about anything ???? That's even more confusing.

I think you get your rocks off by attempting to make others looks foolish. That's really sad, man.....

Who's taking advantage of me ? I made a TON OF MONEY off that service from the weekend. You're really amazing how you can completely distort, disfigure and displace any type of positive story into a negative, degraded one:cool:

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You're a better man than me Charlie Brown I would not have service.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

why are you so freckling sensitive?.

you started yelling at me first , there big guy...

They fired you.
    Then they dangled a carrot in front of you & you jumped at it.

Have some self respect.

and what was sooooooo negative aboot my first post?
    you know the one that got you yelling?
    its below.

12. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Wow, I never thought you'd agree with him ..... ever.....:rolleyes:

I made out extremely well on that job. I could care less about any perception about being fired, and called back. My bank account disagrees with this notion, as it's filled up quite nicely.Thumbs Up

Remember.... I've become extremely proficient at that location. Thumbs Up

13. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

you should have billed them extra for an **emergency call**

14. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Yelling ????

Did I use large characters to reply back to you ?

Really ??

It's apparent that I cannot have any sorts of civil conversations with you, as you habitually turn them into some sort of argumentative, volleying of misinterpretations of the situation. I hope at some point you get your award for trolling the internet being a petulant child, so eventually you can stop, and utilize your true intelligence potential for helping others, vs what you do now.

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I did.....Thumbs Up

:D

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

That was a good Karma move on your part, I would have probably done the same thing however I would have made it worth my while for this one push.
    Not to gouge anyone but they dropped you, your route was established, your were probably tired and looking for a break and they apparently a ways away. I would have added a 20-25% increase for the hassle along with letting them know you're not their b1tch and they would have gone to the end of the route. If they want to sign on with you for the balance of the season they'd seen a minimum of a 10% increase on the cost you had in the bid this fall.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

that is what that bold text above equals,,, yelling, a raised voice.

looks like it, dont it?
    Your passive aggressive act is getting rather old.
    i hope you feel better after.

sorry for not blowing sunshine up your wazoo.
    as that seems to be what you need all of the time.

Well good for you,you got paid for that one time push.Thumbs Up
    I'm sure it brought up your account balance significantly. payuppayup

nex,t time listen to your wife..;)

ps we all get fired, so what, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and get back to work.
    we all do it.

18. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Ahhh.... You're misinterpreting me again..

I "bold typed" what really happened, and you assumed I was yelling. Why ? I highlighted that sentence, not as a "yelling" point. I bolt typed it because so many people skim read paragraphs, and miss the point of what is being conveyed. Nothing negative, or hostile towards you.

Nothing was negative in your first post. I was simply clearing up what you again misinterpreted.

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Good for you,made some money and your reputation as a stand up guy who doesn't carry a ego damaged negative grudge ! I had a client who was screaming at me and and I back at him(38" blizzard,i was incoherent).Figured that was it,guess who was the first to pay me lol.Still plowing lot 3 years later payup

20. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Wow, you are really distorted....