1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost All Plow Power.. ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by old skool, Dec 10, 2009.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I was plowing this morning with my 8.2 V, when all of a sudden I lost all power to the plow, including lights and controller. Of coarse ,it was dark, wind blowing, and 2 below zero. I checked the fuse panel and power feed. everything ok there. Thankfully, the plow was up and I was only 5 or 6 miles from home, so I took it back to the heated shop.

Again checked fuses and power supply no problems there. Checking further I found the 13 pin connector had come loose. Has this ever happened to any of you? I dont have a clue why it would have come unplugged? Is there an easy way to "lock" the plug in?

Obviously, if this ever happens again, I will know where to look first. Thankfully a very easy "fix", But still cost me a half hour of time.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

That happened to me before. I took 2 zip straps and crossed them over each other while it was plugged in. Never had an issues with it coming unplugged again.

3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I thought of that....guess a new zip tie is a pretty cheap insurance policy every time you plow. I didnt know if there was a spring loaded/wire clamp of some kind to lock it?

Why I never thought of checking that connection in the field....duhhh. Of coarse all my previous plows were "hard wired". BTW.... Still LOVE the plow!

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes that has happened to me last year and it was the first thing I checked. I thought that would be my problem because I had a heck of a time getting it together with a broken arm.

5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Consider where your hook up is.......look at this thread I started last week, if you have a Ford it may give you an idea or two. Usually your plug comes apart when it's in the wrong location a putting stress on the wire, it will eventually pull away. I had to move mine since that was happening more than once a night, made the change and problem was gone.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=90692

Regards

6. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thanks for the link...will definitely check it out.. My truck is a 97 Chevy one ton. The hook up is located on the left side, just under the bumper. Seems to be plenty of slack in the connecting wire. This is my second season with the plow and the first time this has happened. Maybe just a fluke?

I did use some dielectric grease on the pins over the weekend..maybe that was part of it?
    Right now, sounds like loading up on zip ties is the best short term answer!

Its all been very helpful info!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Too much grease in the plug will definitely cause it to disconnect on its own as the excess grease will prevent full connection of the plug.

I find most guys that do actually apply grease periodically over grease them. The trick is to remove all the old grease before you apply any new. Doing so prevents the grease from building up in the sockets and causing the same issue you're experiencing.

This applies to any plow brand.

8. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

B & B How do you keep from getting that "Green" colored grease from developing. When I see that I get concerned as it seems to be eating away at my pins.

I tyr and clean it as well as replace it with new but always get it on the power pin.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Thats where cleaning it every time before re-greasing it comes in. If there's water or corrosion in there already and you simply pack more grease in it all your doing is driving that water/corrosion further into the plug. Need to clean them out first.

A couple other connector plug tips. These should probably be in a sticky somewhere as they're little known but VERY helpful for connector life....

1) How many of you guys connect the dust covers together when you remove them to connect the plow? Not too many I'll bet, as few do. Guess where all that salt, water and road grim goes that gets all over those dust covers as they're hanging on the truck though an entire snow event? Yes, it goes right into the connectors and your fresh clean grease the next time you install the dust covers onto the plugs. Thats why it's critical to connect the dust covers together when they're not being used. Few guys even realize that one....

2) To clean existing corrosion from the connectors....

Use brake clean and a small bristle brush to remove all traces of old grease. Now take some CLR* and pour it into a small plastic container and immerse the plugs into it for a few minutes. It will remove every trace of previous corrosion from the pins and sockets and leave them as clean and shiny as new. Then simply flush the connectors with water to remove the CLR and give it a shot of compressed air to remove all traces of the water (a through air dry is also recommended). Then apply your new grease.

Doing this once a year and remembering to connect the dust covers together (again very important) when the plow is in use will prolong the life of the connectors many times over.

* If you're not familiar with CLR it's a household product used to remove rust and scale buildup (corrosion) from appliances and such and it works every bit as good on electrical connections too. In fact it's OUTSTANDING on battery cable connectors. Just soak them for a minute or two and they come out looking brand new. No need to even fully remove them from the vehicle.

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

B & B I knew you'd come through, your right too about the covers, thanks for the tips !!

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

B&B told me about the CLR trick last year and I was able to clean up my connectors so well that they literally looked like brand new when I was done.

I didn't submerge my plugs into CLR though. I poured some into a spray bottle and squirted them down that way. The corrosion melted right off.

(And I agree, B&B's post should be a sticky because that is valuable information for a lot of us)

12. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thanks for the CLR trick! I had cleaned the connectors with brake cleaner and dried them before greasing. Then I apply a "dab' directly into the female part of the plug only. when you plug them together, it coats the male pins. And yep, I ALWAYS put the dust covers back on...making sure to clean any salt residue out of them first.

now if you'll excuse me , Im going to see what my wife is doing! ;)