1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost account coming back?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Some of you probably remember me getting a rural library last year. This year the new president took bids. When she contacted me for one, I asked for a spec sheet. She said they don't have one. I offered to help her develop one so everybody would be bidding the on the same thing. She informed me she had experience with bids and knew enough to be able to compare bids. She wanted a seasonal bid. I worked up a seasonal bid with specifications regarding area to be plowed, times in relation to hours of operation etc. She wanted separate bids for plowing and sanding. So I sent in two bids and I specified that if I didn't get the plowing, I withdrew the bid for sanding.

About Nov 1st, I got a letter that they had gotten a lower bid.

We got 2-3 inches last night. Library opens at 10:00 on Sat. I drove by and it hadn't been plowed. By some coincidence, I had driven in the library lot just ahead of last year's president's wife who was opening. She asked if I was there to plow. I said "No, I got outbid" I expained that I really wasn't upset at getting outbid - that's business. Then I told her "If you want some one to really take care of your lot like last year, give me a call". Gave her my card and left. She was not happy tromping through 3" of snow. Went by a couple of hours later and it still wasn't done.

What I didn't say was "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".

Maybe I'll get it back in mid-season? Maybe next year?
  2. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

MICK...I love people who outsmart themselves !
    For a unproven service provider.............
    When she calls when winter REALLY hits DOUBLE
    your price !.................geo
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes i would get more for it if they call for a mid winter price
  4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

mid winter price is always higher .....you have to juggle your schedule

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Looks like they got what they paid for!
  6. Nebraska

Nebraska Member
    from Midwest

There is a God! Too bad so many people confuse service with commodity.
  7. Mick

from Maine

It didn't get done at all. Now it's a frozen mess with tracks. My guess is that's a lesson learned about seasonal pricing without contracts and specifications.
  8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Hey Mick now is a good time to call and offer your salting services;) but at a higher price and tell them to look at your jobs from that storm and see nice clean lots for job ref.
  9. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, cat320, but all they have to do is remember from last year. And they do.:D
  10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

YEA MICK......Just think of their insurance claims
    and rates when a older person does the old
    slip and fall thing.......Yea I bet they will save
    money !...........................geo