1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lost a job today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by windrowsnow, Dec 16, 2010.

1. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i get a call at 8pm this evening from one of my commercial contracts that has been price shopping. we are going with another contractor. i asked what they are charging them for the four acre lot with an hour of sidewalks. 175.00 every four inches 50.00 for walks and 100.00 per salt application. i told them i couldnt touch it for that price and good luck.
  2. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Don't get all excited.

You'll be getting it back. Always happens with the price shoppers.
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the question you need to ask yourself is "would you want them back even if they asked?" i mean if they are going to shop around last minute, and do this kind of cr@p they deserve what they get.
  4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you bail them out, tell them payment will be needed in advance and charge them the spot work prices
  5. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

no way would i put the key in any of my trucks for 45 an hour. piss on that nonsense. but your right like i told them you get what you pay for and i lost a customer of 20 years for fifty bucks and i wont take them back so wel see what happens
  6. kingf350

kingf350 Junior Member

yeah 45 an hour is way too low, you wont make any profit... I may be new but i plowed last year (not this year, plow broke looking for a boss plow) But i spent $2500 last year and only made $800 and thats cuz i was trying to be nice and do cheap i learned my lesson
  7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

So, what you are saying is they held out until now, the middle of December to make a decision?? What would have happened if they needed someone a month ago? Would they have have tried to manipulate the deal, bouncing back and forth between a monthly vrs push rate? I'd say good riddance, and good luck w/ manipulating some other chump.Nice business ethics, don't tread on me.
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

What type of equipment are you using?

The amount one company charges might be enough to make a decent profit if they are efficient. I don't know the circumstances, but the numbers you listed don't sound all that bad.
    As you listed, "an hour of walks" for $50, how much should the walks be worth in your opinion? Also, how long does it take to plow this account?
    (just trying to get a better perspective on what it takes to clear the snow here)
  9. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i understand your frustration but if the opportunity presents itself again..be smart and consider the work you've done keeping them for 20 years ...i wouldn't just give that up if they came back providing you were happy with what you were making in years past. you might try and get a multi-year deal as a last resort before giving up. good luck..hope you get that call !!!
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Those are lowballer numbers no matter what they're using to do it.
  11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah seriously! Even if its a wide open lot it seems they're plowing it just to plow it. Salting is only 100.00 for 4 acres.....thats crazy unless his salt is free and 50 bucks for sidewalks isn't too bad, even if your paying someone 20 bucks an hour.
  12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you have to plow them out 1 time already? If you did plow, don't you have a contract in place with them before your plow hit the lot? I had 2 business sit unplowed for 2 days after Sunday nights snowfall, till they signed a contract before I would plow. I keep trying to explain to them it doesn't cost you a penny to sign the contract in August, or September, but every year they wait till the first snowfall to sign. The sad part is I don't think they even shop the price. They just have a fear of comitment.
  13. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

walks with two inches of snow takes an hour. walks with a foot of snow takes three hours. i am running four trucks ranging from 7.5 to 9 foot blades. last winter alone we had a twelve in storm with blowing and drifting i had a 9.2 v blade my 9 foot straight and my 8 foot out there for five hours. and that doesnt include walks or salting. i dont care if they are running a loader out there four acres for that price is lowball numbers.not to mention the company that is doing is it driving down roughly thirty mintues from in good weather to get to this site. to many guys trying to make a buck out there
  14. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

and yes we did bail them out one time already this year around 4 to five inches took a lil over 4 hours to push with one truck then i had to clear drifts the next monring for an hour. so for 175.00 they can attempt to do the service we provided because i wont touch it for five hours of work. i will stay in bed for that price
  15. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Those are real low numbers!
  16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I agree , you can't be profitable with these numbers no matter what euipment you have.
  17. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I dont care who they are, where they are or what equipment they are using. A 4 acre lot cannot be done at those numbers without showing a loss.
  18. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

They'll be back, you said you lost it over $50.00 so you were doing it for $225.00 1-4 with four trucks, that only puts your four trucks at $56.25 an hour correct me of I'm wrong...I just went by an earlier post of yours, not thing to start anything maybe I just read it wrong.
  19. windrowsnow

from nw ohio

no i lost a different customer that we had for 20+ years because the other bid was 50.00 less than ours.
  20. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Ohh see I was wrong