1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost a customer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by watatrp, Jan 10, 2002.

1. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Got fired from my first plowing customer. Had a guy fire me for not plowing when there was only an inch of snow on about 50% of his lot. Our agreement was to plow only after 2". The owner of the building, a lawyer, has a tenant in his building, an accident injury lawyer, and his secretary slipped and fell in the parking lot. I'm kind of upset that I lost the account and didn't do anything wrong. The property managager agreed to the terms and the owner doesn't agree with the terms now that he has read them after the fact. With two lawyers involved, I'm not gonna touch this with a ten foot pole. :confused:
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Kinda sad.

What kind of agreement did you have?

You are probably better off then to contest this at all. The lawyers would take up more of your time in a feutal effort for you. Don't let getting fired from one account deter you. Learn from it and make better agreements in the future.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

My personal preference is DO NOT WORK FOR LAWYERS!

Over the years we have been invited to bid on a few "lawyer buildings", you know the buildings that have about 4 law offices in them and its only a two story building! I try to be polite but firm by saying "sorry were booked solid". Thats a hornet's nest of lawsuits.

Don't worry about this one watrp it sounds like you held up your end of the bargain.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

watatrp - document everything now while it's fresh in your mind. The exact agreement including triggers, whether it was written or oral and who it was with. How much did it snow and when? How did you decide not to plow? Who fired you and when - what exactly was said? How did you know that person has the authority to fire you? The firing should be written. If it is a written or seasonal agreement, send a letter outlining that you will no longer service that account effective --- at ---'s request/order. Even for an oral agreement, a letter is a good idea.

I may seem paranoid, but I've dealt with too many lawyers. One favorite trick is to let enough time go by so you've forgotten details. Then hit you with a lawsuit. Since you can't swear to details, their version wins by default. If you do insist that you can remember, they will trip you up unless you can refer to notes/documentation.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

watatrp - Happy anniversery. I just checked your profile - you registered with Plowsite a year ago today.
  6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Mick offers some excellent advice.

Protect yourself.
  7. qjet1

qjet1 Junior Member

sorry about your loss dont know what your agreement was but this is how I work it Most of my customers are lawyers and they dont scare me were small beans If like me you have a contract for full seasonal for $x.- the other day our first spitter of snow
    brought a dusting to 2 in. in the higher elevation.
    I went out in my little truck solo worked 8 hrs spent $18.- in fuel
    did not get one phone call I was the only one out but I saved alot of headaches and made others look bad Next year Ill get some other accts. My advice give a little learn as much as you can about your customer make them forget that they wear a suit and you dont but if you have a verbal agreement they cant hold you But what if down the road was a dusting but they had drifts
    Treat all customers as if they are your favorite Thats just my thinking Maybe w/ a call you can still straighten it out good luck
    What I used to do was do it anyway then when they got the bill if called Id deduct a little may em happy (per push deal)
  8. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

By no means am I saying this is correct but here's my 2 cents worth. As the others have said, write down everything now!!! Secondly, send a certified letter, recipet requested to the owner, or the person contract was with, stating that per their decision , you have and will cease all snown control for said building. Lastly, BILL THEM!!!!!!Thats right, bill them for what you should have been paid. If they chose to end the contract, ie fire you, you are still entitled to payment, unless you agreed otherwise. I would bill them for whatever amount you are owed, ie seasonal contract . Also state in billing that they have x amount of time to pay, then rebill them. Impose a late fee if needed. See the bottom line here is someone got lawyer scared. And now they want you to be lawyer scared. BullS--t!!!!They are betting you will walk away head held low. After they recieve your letters and bills, they will be the ones who start to think twice about the situatuion. Finally, I would want proof of this slip and fall. It wouldnt surprise me if a person gave this story just to get out of a contract. Working for lawyers is just like working for anyone else, the only difference is the lawyers think their great and feared, and we know different.
  9. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Waiting to see what others think.