1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost A Contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLOWTIME, Oct 23, 2007.

1. PLOWTIME

PLOWTIME Junior Member
    from ct

I don't complain to much but this got to me. I have been plowing a few properties for a management co for a few years and always provided great service for them.the properties require a very high level of service and range for small to large lots all with high traffic.I was informed that out of 7 locations i only got one. I was under bid by as much as $400.00 on one and my price was very fair. just had to vent.

2. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

it stinks i hear you

i lost a big one to a company who wayyyyyy underbid me, and after trying to explain you get what you pay for to the client said that id have to beat the other guys price to keep the contract....i just couldnt do that...guess the plower had too many new truck payments and diddnt care what it cost, just wanted the work..it happens....even when youre buddy buddy with your prop managers/owners crap still happens

karma seems to work out though, same with lawns, i have NEVER had a week where a customer would call to cancel without in the same week getting calls to pick up another one or two......commercial snow isnt that easy though..takes a little more work to land a job

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

What's that gonna mean for your winter work load? How many accounts are you doing, and how many are you waiting on right now to come back (signed, I mean)?

Don't compromise on the prices because as long as you're fair, you're gonna get work. As for contracts you didn't get, either wait for them to come back to you because of bad underbid service, or actively seek them out again next year & explain why your higher bid gives them more service.

Best of luck!

~Kevin

4. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Say "I understand, but here's my card, you call me if their service isn't up to snuff, I'd still like to work with you"

There's always an opening.
    And personally, you should let the guy who bid it go under. (although you have to watch that you don't overprice yourself either. We live in a walmart mentality world, price is everything)

5. PLOWTIME

PLOWTIME Junior Member
    from ct

I still have enough jobs to keep all my trucks busy but it is still going to hurt.I have three more bids i'am waiting on just have to wiat another week.I think who ever underbid me will get a big supprise the jobs are per event 1-3 4-7 8-12 etc but during the hours they are open the main travel ways and side walks must be plow/shoveled/sanded. i have had storms that i was there 7-8 times then clean up after hours. Good luck to them.

6. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

yea that sucks. hope they see that your service was well worth price. somtimes the low baller doesnt follow through maybe youll get a call and get tem back after the first storm.i jst got fired by the guys i have subbed for 10 years now they werent gonna tell me i didnt have work with them. i heard through another guy. so i went to work for their competitor and well they are awesome. and guess who called today my old snow contractor wanting me back , now they landed mucho work. gee karma suxpayup