1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lost a church lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WRIGHTWAY, Nov 28, 2009.

1. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I contacted them to find out what days I needed to plow as it’s changed every year for the last 4yrs :confused:
    And I get the old oh I forgot to tell you one of are members has a plow truck this year but I don’t know how reliable it will be. If he can’t get it done can we call you?

I don’t mind being there backup but they will be charged for it payup

2. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

well of course they would let a member do the lot he is probably doing it for free or for fuel only! I wouldn't be surprised it you get the call this winter

3. Flake Chaser

Flake Chaser Member
    from CT

That was your clue to tell them how "reliable" you are and are available 24/7 for storms. Also I like to tell people sure you can call me but you'll be after my regular customers. Usually gets them everytime.

4. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I’m not bent about it at all and I welcome the call. Church’s happen to be great word of mouth advertisement

The lot doesn’t have to be done in till 11am so there already last
    But I still will not do will calls for the same $

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree on the price increase for "being their back-up plan"

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Absolutely, well played. If it wasn't a church I would of put the squeeze on them, but more then likely you'll get the call later this season and the contract back next year.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure if your called that you tell then besides money you want the last pew and a parking spot by the door for Christmas Eve mass!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be a jerk about it. You don't want them to try someone else if there's a problem.

Will calls are a PITA.

9. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Business before church. They are no different than any other customer.

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What does that mean?

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Thats too bad I love plowing churches no one around most of the time and the flexibility for when it had to be done by is awesome.

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Without getting into a whole religious battle here, I can see were some may think that way. I don't share that same view though. I'm not so sure how far I would draw the line as I have never serviced a church before, but I would definitely have more...leniate rates & terms of payment.

13. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

They are just a customer I don’t go there

14. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

Don’t intend to be a jerk but was only charging them $25 per push for the lot adding 5-10 (haven’t decided yet) should not be a big deal

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Jerk was the wrong word. But you know what I mean...

16. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

The church I go to is serviced by a member of the church, but then again he runs a fleet of about 30 plow trucks. Doesn't get priority during the week, but it climbs pretty high on the list for the weekends, he doesn't charge the church anything for it and still pays one of his guys to do it.

17. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Treat it just like a new customer last on route and charge the same your not working any harder or your truck what would you do if you had never plowed this church before and they called if you dont like it that your second on they list then dont plow tell them sorry but no thanks

18. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Is this even a parking lot? My smallest church parking lot takes me ten minutes to push and I charge them $60. Plus walks, ice melt and sand is all extra.

19. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i lost a big church lot this year as well. my dad had done it for 20 years then he lost it for three. after three years of poor service i rebid it and landed it. last season the head of trustees called and said dont bother bidding just send us a contract. this season the head was changed and i had to rebid it. didnt raise my price and i lose it to a guy who is fifty bucks less on his 1-6" price and half my hourly after 6". with a 2"snow fall i can plow it in around 2 hours with with my 9' on my f350. get a good heavy snow of 6+inches it takes over seven hours.

20. WRIGHTWAY

WRIGHTWAY Senior Member

I’m afraid I might burst in to flames:laughing: seems like pews make me :sleeping: