1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

loss of power brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crerar, Dec 17, 2002.

1. crerar

crerar Junior Member

I have a 1997 chevy 1500 with power brakes. I seem to have lost the power on the brakes. They work but I have to press the brake pedal really hard . There is also a sound of air leaking out as I press the pedal. This air seems to come from the rubber bushing around the rod that goes through the firewall to the brake booster. Any help is appreciated

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Brake Booster

I think you have successfully diagnosed your problem. It sounds like your power brake booster which runs on vacuum has given up the ghost. You should be able to pick up a used one at a salvage yard for a reasonable price, in my area, prob $35.00.
    Not too hard to change, just unbolt the master cylinder and support it so it doesn't hang from the brake lines. Then you have to unbolt the brake booster. If I remember correctly, that is done inside up under the dash behind the brake peddle. You also have to pull a pin to release the brake peddle. Slide out the old and in with the new

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hes right, but before replacing anything, open the hood and make sure the hose didnt just fall off or maybe it is all dry rotted and cracked and split open. Id check that first. Mike

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

brake booster vacuum hose

I did think of the vacuum hose being off, but you wouldn't hear a the wind noise just when you pressed on the brake pedal, you'd here it all the time.

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea you are right about that, you would hear it all the time. Still worth opening the hood and giving it a quick look and feel i think. My nutty uncle has a saying, Cheap is good, free is better. LOL. Mike ;)

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Power Brakes

I had a 98 K2500 Chevy with a 350 vortec, great truck no complaints. In fact just sold it last night. It had the standard vacuum assist power brake booster.

My current truck is nearly identical, except it is a 97 K2500 GMC and 454 vortec. It has way better brakes, as the power brake assist is run straight off the power steering pump like a diesel. And I only get one less mile per gallon, with way more power.

Got a little off topic but thought it was interesting.