1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Losing Plow Pins

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Kenyou, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

A quick question for you all. I have lost 2 plow pins in 2 weeks on my Meyers 8ft.polly plow. Can this be normal? Is there anything that I can do to prevent it?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. jwkv

jwkv Member

Are these the hitch pins? Do you use the pin with a hole in it and a lynch pin through the hole to hold it in place?
  3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Yes, they are the hitch pins. Except that the spring loaded clips that come with the hitch pins, came off some how, maybe from back-dragging. I went to Tractor Supply to buy another Hitch Pin and seen the lynch pins and bought some of them. Then a friend of mine told me that he drill's out that hole and puts in a larger Lynch Pin than that skinny one I had just bought.

Any other Ideas or am I supposed to just get used to loosing the hitch pins?

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I would try to drill the hole out in the pin so you could but a bolt and lock nut on it. Just a thought. I wouldn't be quick release but it save money and possible damage in the future.
  5. jwkv

jwkv Member

I have 7/16 lynch pins in mine. If you snap them closed the wrong way they can come off. The ring has to snap tight against the pin. If you push the ring over the wrong way it will leave a gap and not be tight against the pin.
  6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thank you so much for your help jwkv and sefh. I will try the larger Lynch Pins making sure that the snap ring is next to the pin. If that doesn't work, out comes the nut and bolt.

Thanks again!
  7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

In addition you may want to try to attach a small chain or cable from your pins to someplace on the plow frame. At least that way if the pin does come out you don't lose it completely. Carry some extra pin clips in the truck and you won't be screwed at 3 am if something happens.
  8. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Trailer hitch pin locks work good.
  9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Oh yes, I have extra everything now. Maybe tomorrow I will get some chain or cable.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  10. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

The only problem with these is that they freeze up and it is tough to get the plow off, but they make a good theft deterrent too.
    I have lost 2 in the 14 years I have had my plow.
  11. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I just put some small padlocks through mine. Those won't fall off.
  12. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Thanks guys! I will try the Lynch pins for now as I have them aready. If that don't work, I'll go to the locks.