1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Losing my f-ing mind with ujoints.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by split2ndnova, Feb 21, 2010.

1. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

I really need a hand now that I tore apart my garage in an agry rage. My plow is f-d up but whats worse is my drive line and its a *****.

I have had a hell of a time with this and after the hammering and pounding, I would guess I need a rebalance after today.

I finally got the u joint issue down when installing them. I have a 2 piece drive shaft and the thing had to be pounded on the slip yoke area. now, its stuck and I assume it is supposed to slide back and forth better then that. Is there a certain way it goes in??????? It has groves that seem to be all the same size but something has to give......

It started with a driveline vibration and its not my tires. How should the shaft and slip yoke issue be dealt with.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you aren't having a good day are you? in the spirit of helping out someone, if no one has answered this for you by tomorrow, i well ask my mechanic whats up?

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

you are correct it should slide freely, it may have one spline that is bigger then the others as a guide, but i would have to ask my mechanic

4. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

oh ****. im going to jump out a wndow soon

5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If both peices are off the truck , lay em on the work bench. Im assuming that there is no master spline on this unit. Take a peice of chalk, or mark it with a scribe. (always a good idea to do this, before pulling shafts apart.) . Then try to fit the shafts together, dont work at that spot, turn it one spline distance,try again to fit, and so on................. Sometimes its a good idea to leave the PITA job for a while, then head back and give it another go. Possibly the shaft got dinged with the hammering you might have to file either spline or grooves.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

It's hard to tell exactly what you did but beating on a driveshaft is never a good idea.Anyway,take your 2 pieces of shafts out of your truck,clean up your splines real good to examine them.If you caused burring on the edges,file them smooth,clean,and grease them up some and then try sliding them together.If you see deformity because of all your banging,you're going to have to replace that yoke.Next time use a pry bar with some rust remover first.

7. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Your not going to like hearing this BUT a lack of MAINTENANCE causes a lot of these problems...
    Keep the spines greased...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Right on!!!!!!!!:salute:!!!!!We check all our u-joints by physically removing shafts, none of this up/down side to side check when its on the truck. You would be surprised what you find when you remove it. A tight cup is one that will fail on ya during the snow season, and you wont find that by the "shake method":nono: when its on the truck.

9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

make sure you grease that slip yoke spline!!!

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Only the dumb ones can't notice a bad u-joint ... That's why the spine has a grease fitting ...... It's not for bleeding out air...

But from what I read most are not into Maintenance just fix it after it breaks.... Then pay $$$$$$$$

11. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

On a two piece drive shaft don't you have to phase the u joints. Not sure if that's the right word. Just a suggestion.

12. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

you have to phase the yokes and there should be a master spline. the shaft halves should slip easily back and forth. if you pounded the halves together you could have very well just destroyed it. did it come apart easily or did you have to beat it apart to?

13. Andy's Beast

Andy's Beast Member

Relax, have a beer. Being pissed about it won't improve the situation. Once you have a level head, go at it again. i just turned a 1 hour u joint job into a two day job. Working on old trucks always seems to cost more than you think and take more time than you think, but it gets you away from the nagging wife.

14. split2ndnova

split2ndnova Member

Thanks to all of you and your support. the truck is driving like new but monday I will need to have the ds redone. the yoke is frozen inside so temporary is an understatement. I bought the truck 2 months ago and suspect the yoke was twisted to begin with. there is some gear play also. these dana 60's are almost unbreakable so this was an issue for a while, I suspect. i am calm and wish my kids were with me this weekend. that would have helped the situation. I used to enjoy my space but realized what was important to me more then anything.... and not worth the explosion. I will take some pics of the garage. You guys will get a kick out of it. Billy