1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Losing fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by redskinsfan34, Jan 26, 2011.

1. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Hello all. I have a unimount pro plow plus. The plunger itself has a bit of corrosion on it and is pitted. Those pits, I assume, have been rubbing on the seal packings because I'm now leaking fluid around the base of the plunger. Do I have to replace the plunger or is there a way to remove the corrosion without doing more damage? Thanks.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

you can try to use a fine sand paper get the rust using with oil on the lift ram. Or replace it new. The packing seals are probably bad, so it would be a good idea to change the seal

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If the corrosion pits are deep then you have two choices, either remove the ram piston and take it too a hydraulic rebuild place where they can repair it or just buy a new one from Western along with a new seal kit. It's easy to R&R. Just put the plow down and loosen the ram end nut until the piston comes out. Then remove the nut & seal from the piston. There are numerous types but all simple to disassemble onece you get the pision out and look at it.

Using fine emery cloth is great for removing surface rust but if you actually have pits then it won't help. That's like cuttin holes out of a blanket with scissors. Althought.... using emery cloth will take off any sharp edges around the pits and then if you put in a new seal it will get you by for a while. What you do depends on what kind of repair you want. Long term or the quick fix.

4. redskinsfan34

redskinsfan34 Senior Member

Thanks so much for the replies guys. Upon closer inspection those pits aren't going to be removed. I ordered a new piston. $81 not too big a deal. I got 2 packing seal kits. I figured I'd replace just the seals now to get me through the rest of the season. Then in the spring remove and replace the piston with a fresh set of seals. Sound like a good plan?

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like a plan.....Did the same thing. Use emery cloth with hydraulic fluid, remove the rust, order the parts, and going to rebuild the unit.

6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That's a good way to go. Make it work for now and then fix it right when the snow melts. Interesting that the pinston was only $81. That makes this a resonable repair. I will keep that in mind when I see this problem in the future. So often we assume that the replacement part is going to be too expensive and we don't even check the price. Thanks for that insight.