1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

lose all power for slit second?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 94chevy2500, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

ok i have a 94 chevy 2500 with the 5.7l . while plowing today i would lose all power of like a spit second, like all light would just flash once and then act like nothing even happend. it happend twice today i just dont want it to go out for good in the middle of a storm im thinking maybe the ground from the battery to the engine might be lose? just seening if anyone else has had this happen any help would be awsome! thanks guys
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

heavy plowing can bang elctric cables loose. check your battery ends for corrosion and tight bolts.

then check the rest of the system with basic look over for stupid simple problems like rubbing loos wire ready to break off.

i have seen a few ignition switches cause this on 94 and older gm trucks . thay are up on the steering shaft under the dash. had a guy with funny no start / sometimes stall out. we tryed most comon things. then i sugested the switch. he said go for it what else do i have to loose. poped a new one in still workin perfect to this day.

took apart the old one. full of black junk dryed up lube grease. and super weak springs to make the contacts make conection.

cheep fix that worked on a whim . Thumbs Up
  3. 94chevy2500

thanks so much! im hoping all it is is the switch now. i realy dont feel like chasing wires in this cold wind lol. im also going to redo all the aux lighting wires and make a fuse box just for all the aftermarket lights
  4. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

I have a 2000 Chevy 2500 same problem. Then one day it quit all together. Found out the positive cable melted to the battery and fell off. Replaced cable no more problems.

5. 94chevy2500

did u ever find the reason it melted? glad it was an easy fix ill check for melting to lol looks like theres going to be a fun day real soon (probly tommarow) were im just looking for the problem thanks again guys and if anyone else has anything i should check i dont know what i would do without plowsite haha
  6. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

did u ever find the reason it melted?

7. 94chevy2500

hahaha that the way i goes most of the time, just hope it doesnt happen again lol
  8. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

If your battery terminals are fine you may have a short in your system. I had a similar problem on my truck and my rear blade cable was split and rubbing on the frame every once in a awhile.
  9. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I had the same thing happen on my 78 for back in the day. It would stall or stumble for a second just like you describe, but start back up. On time it started to stall and I reach down for the key and when I touched it, it ran good. Wiggled the key a bit and it would cut out. Replaced the switch and all was good. I chased that for 2 years replacing fuel pump, rebuilding carb, tune ups, fuel lines ect. Try jiggling the key a bit to see if it duplicates the issue.
  10. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

I have the same problem on one of my fords 92 f250 5.7L. I was told all the above but what I have come to notice on mine is that while running the high power light mount and radio while working the plow heavily, the lights drag on the batt so bad. Now I only drive with lights and plow with parking lights on. Haven't had the problem losing power yet. Next is a daul battery set up or a real nice optima or such and a high out put alternator I think the alternator cant keep up with all the juice I'm eating up with my blizzard 8600sw.