1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loosening tension on Serpentine belt.

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Killswitch, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

How do you do it?

Maybe its a silly question but I need to R/R a power steering pump.

Has anyone had any experience with faulty (in my opinion) pumps on older Dodges? They crack or split at the base.

Changing the part out seems straight forward but how do I loosen the tension.

I hear theres a tensioner pully that you need to move manually with a wrench or socket attached to the shaft nut.

Help, and thanks guys.

I also have the loose steering wheel syndrome and I think its the steering gear box but a good mechanic who took a quick look at it was more concerned with the short extension thats was added to the steering shaft due to a four inch Body mod.

Give me your thoughts on the dodge steering issues. Anyone ever installed the 1 ton steering box in say a half ton?

I know one guy here says he did it but cant remember his name.

2. bounty21061

bounty21061 Member

you can buy a tool at your local auto parts store for 19.00 good to have any way or use a crow bar but with some cars its hard to do with a crow bar you can use a wrench to on the older cars but you have to pull up that will release the tension

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

So its like a self adjusting pully?

Can ya tell I havent worked on cars in a while?

lol

Im still back in the old days when everything was on a slide mount with a couple belts.

Thanks Bounty.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The tensioner on the 5.2/5.9 is on the passenger side of the engine right below the alt or ac. It doesn't take much to move it and you will be fine using a ratchet or breaker bar.

Actually it's more like a pulley on a spring loaded arm.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Yes. Thats what I figured since no ones mentioned any readjustments after an install which is fine with me.

Thanks Uncle Fester.

:waving:

6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

No problem, the tensioners are alot nicer than the old bolt and slotted bracket aren't they.

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

tensioner is self adjusting- if the belt is too loose the tensioner needs replacement. BE CAREFUL when changing belts or otherwise fiddleing the tensioner because too much pressure with a ratchet (to loosen it for belt removal) or turning the wrong way (without the belt on) will damage it requireing replacement.

The 1 ton steering is a common replacement.

The added piece could be causing the slip, the question is finding where the slop is- have someone wiggle the wheel with the engine ruinning and look under the front end to find the slop- really simple.

The track bar is VERY common to wear out (and quickly) and will cause a whole manner of problems, from sloppy steering to inability to align, to the "Death Wobble"
    Check out dodgeram.org or one of the many other dodge specific sigfhts for alot more information on anything Dodge.