1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loose Xtreme V

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ajordan193, Dec 29, 2009.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Just started to notice that my plow is very loose and you can feel it moving back and forth when coming to a complete stop. Even when the plow is raised in the V position you can move it around by hand pretty good. Suggestions?

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

Like Air in the pistons loose?.. or like the pins are worn out? If you take a 1/16- 1/32 of an inch of each pin that adds up over all of them in a v plow...

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Most plows are going to have some play. Put it up in the air, move it around and see where the play is. If you a pin that is very worn, replace it. If a hole is ovaled out greatly, that's a bigger fix.

4. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Found my problem. The bolts on the A frame are really loose. Seems like the rear ones are the worst. Anyone run into this problem? Also what is the best replacement for these so this doesn't happen again?

5. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

very common problem with a vplow

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Can't believe I didn't remember those. The bolts Fisher provides are crap. Get some nice grade 5 bolts, preferably fine thread. Get them long enough so you can use two nuts on each bolt. Use regular nuts for the first one. Get some type of locknut for the second one, either a nylock or all metal. A "torque prevailing nut" - thanks B&B :D - would be best. Put them in from the inside out so the nuts are easy to get to, and you can see them if they loosen up. Put the bolt in, and the first nut. And tighten it. Alot. If you don't have the tools to tighten these, get the right stuff. I use my 3/4 drive ratchet with a three foot piece of pipe. And a nice box end wrench on the inside. Then put the locknut on and tighten it.

Good luck.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When you're picking up your hardware, grab four 3/8-16 stainless steel locknuts. Add them to the lift chain u-bolts. Single nuts won't hold. Use the SS locknuts to double nut them.

8. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone happen to know what size these nuts are on the A-frame without taking it all apart? Would you pick these up at a local hardware store or are these special?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The big bolts are 3/4 inch diameter. You are going to want bolts about 3 inches long. Take a couple measurements of how thick the metal is that you need to bolt together. Pretty sure the push frame is 1/2 thick, I don't think the T-frame is that thick. The trick is to get bolts that are long enough for two nuts. But as the bolt gets longer, the non-threaded section gets longer too. Ideally, the shank will be just long enough so the frames are not riding on threads. You might need to use a couple washers to make it work.

10. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

My understanding is that the front hole is round and should be no problem. But the rears are slotted. Do I need to leave the plow attached to the truck when replacing these?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, leave the plow on the truck. The newer T-frames are drilled differently, eliminating the slot. But as long as you have the offset drilled square washer in there you should be fine. Just replace the bolts one at a time. Have a big bar, or that breaker bar extender - aka three foot pipe - handy to move things up and down to line them up. Just remember when getting your bolts that the rear bolt needs to go through that washer also, but the front's do not. Depending on how far you have to travel to get your hardware, it might be a good idea to grab a few spare washers and lock washer, and go a tick on the long side with your bolts.

12. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks again...Just finished replacing the hardware on the A-frame. Ended up using grade 8 and changing the chain bolts as well. Even noticed that the one chain nut was missing. This plow is new to me, so what else should I look for maintenance wise?

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why did you change the lift chain u-bolts? Did you double nut them?

Just keep an eye on all the hardware. Some guys have taken out the bolts that hold the moldboards and added washers. Apparently the bolts and nuts will rotate and dig into the frame of the wing.

Personally, I would pull the hinge pin and grease it. It won't take long. I'm dealing with Fisher about mine. Again. As soon as they are done, I'm going to be drilling the wings and putting zerk fittings in so I can grease it easily.

Also, make sure your stops are long enough so the frame doesn't hit the pump housing when you are in vee and lift the blade all the way.

14. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

On my XV, the dealer installed a nut on each side of the u-bolt. I'll see how that works.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your dealer is on the ball. Greased the center pin too? Who did you buy from?

16. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Yeah i just double nutted the chain u-bolts. I've heard a lot of bad things about this hinge pin. How do you know if there is a problem and how do you pull it out to grease it.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's actually pretty easy to pull it out. I did it for the first time the other day, with the plow on the truck. Drop the blade on a nice flat spot. The divider that sits between the wings on the top needs to come off. Two 3/8 bolts. Pop that off, and the head of the pin is right there. The "latest" hardened pin is stamped with BM HT on top, silver in color. Just need to pull that pin out. I used a pair of channel locks to twist it, fortunately it rose up as I twisted. Once I could get a pry bar under there I just kept prying/pulling till it was out. Use a straightedge to check it. When I put it in, I just brushed on some grease as I inserted it. You might need some help getting the pin in. One to hit it with a hammer, one to move the ends of the wings around to line everything up.

Someone else may have an easier way......

Read this for more info on the pin.....

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=95111

18. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Well I'll tell ya.........after looking over the installation and being part of this forum I tend to agree with you. It was Berlin City GM in Gorham NH.
    Honestly, I had heard mixed reviews but they seem to be on top of it and the price was the best around. They are definitely a large volume dealer and have no doubt seen plenty of issues.
    They did all the "little" things as far as I'm concerned. Even beefed up the ground wire battery to frame. Greased all connectors, greased pin, used plate steel on push plates bolts.......nothing but good things to say. Hopefully the plow holds up!
    They had the plow assembled when I dropped the truck off and thnks to the information on here I was able to tell them what I expected.......they knew I was going to look it over and be on the phone if I had any issues. Thanks for the help! Showing that you know what you are talking about can go a long way with service IMO.

We're gonna find out why I bought a V this weekend. Somewhere between 1 and 3 feet of snow coming :D
    :drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  19. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Well replaced the center pin and still have movement in the wings. Below are a few pictures I took today as I was changing the center pin. I know I need a new cutting edge but look how messed up mine really is....

2010-02-15 17.18.55.jpg

2010-02-15 17.19.03.jpg

2010-02-15 17.19.10.jpg

2010-02-15 17.19.54.jpg

2010-02-15 17.20.13.jpg

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine look like that after a while. Looks like you thumped the right one.

The wings are still loose because they have worn. The bushings that wear on the pin are softer than the pin, so they wear first. How old is your plow? If it's still under warranty you may be able to get them replaced.

I would imagine a decent metal shop could weld up the hole and re-bore it.