1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loose Western wings?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Putty, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Putty

Putty Junior Member

I bought the western wings for my MVP pro plus plow. I have plowed with them 3 times and they are awesome, you can push a mountain of snow. But they seem to be loose.The driverside wing rattles like mad and it is driving me crazy. I took it to the dealer and they told me to weld some shims on the back where it makes contact behind the spring, but for $650 shouldn't they fit better? Or are the shims the way to go?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If the plow is still underneath warranty. I bring it right back and tell them to fix the problem!!!!

3. T Deneen

T Deneen Junior Member

A warning regarding the Pro Wings - do not try to stack with them. They will fold back and Western will not warranty. They should, however, fit tightly and not rattle about under use. The dealer needs to stand up and help you out here. I know I would.

4. Putty

Putty Junior Member

Wow, there is so much steel in these things I can't imagine them folding back but thanks for the heads up. Is it from stacking on hard packed snow(ice) piles? I actually have an apointment today at the dealer where I bought them. We'll see what they say, but I think they are inclined to replace it.

5. T Deneen

T Deneen Junior Member

I have seen the wings fail on a couple of occasions and Western tech service attributed it to stacking. So long as the plow blade is in proper condition the wings should fit tightly, especially if it is only one that is loose. Shim at your peril, by the way, could void any warranty. Good luck with your dealer.

6. Putty

Putty Junior Member

Well, I finally got to the dealer today. After explaining the problem a few times and a phone call to Western the decision was made to weld the shims on. This time Western offered to cover it and pay for the welding. It fits well now but it would have looked alot better if I would've had a friend weld it. I guess I'll call this matter closed.

7. 2005DMAX

2005DMAX Junior Member

I just bought a set of wings for my 8.5 MVP this week. I too have the same problem. The right side fits good but the left side is loose. It appears that it is a fabrication defect. It looks to be that the hole is drilled in the wrong spot. I guess I will weld a shim on mine too. On another note...$650 for the set??? I must of got a real deal.....only paid $450. And yes they are new from a Western dealer.

8. Putty

Putty Junior Member

Lets see... $580 for the wings $25ish for the two foot markers to put on them, plus 6% sales tax = $641.30. Yeah, you got a screamin' deal !!! Maybe I should have waited a little longer. Have you had a chance to plow with them yet?

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Imagine that, a DD dealer telling you it's not their problem.

Let me ask you this. After welding the shims in, do you think the paint will hold up as well as the original powdercoating? I would send the pics to Western and tell them you want them to make it right, or return some of your money.

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

They should of re-paint the plow after they did the work..