1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loose plow mount 01 silverado 2500hd

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lazyike, Feb 28, 2012.

1. lazyike

lazyike Member

I have a boss rt3 plow mount that keeps coming loose where the mount connects to the frame through the tow hooks. Last year I had to keep re-tightening them. This fall I took the whole mount off the truck, and replaced all nuts and bolts with the right grade and lock nuts. I also used thread-lock on everything and then tightened them down with a breaker bar. Tonight I put my plow on and guess whats loose. Any one else have this problem? How did you fix it?
    Thanks guys.

2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Frame flex

Had this happen on a couple of my GM's in the past.......... tightened them up and yes they worked loose again... seems the horns flex if you don't control the spread height of the horn.

To correct the problem my local Boss / Western dealer ordered a horn spacer kit from Western as it comes with correct spacers to stop the flex problem and keeps the mount tight....
    It is basically a piece of 1/2 steel pipe that goes in the horn vertical and stops the horn from collapsing when you tighten the bolts..

Problem solved, never had a Boss mount come loose again....

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Red lock tight ever bolt, I had the same issue as you 4 years ago, finally I put that stuff on every bolt and I haven't had to touch it since.

4. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

would this cause one side to be lower then the other?

5. StratfordPusher

Possible

It's possible, thats how I noticed mine was loose, that and the headlights slowly went out of aim
    as well. Not hard to check... wrench the bolts....:mechanic:

6. lazyike

lazyike Member

I looked at westerns site and all I could find was a u shaped bracket that goes inside the horn (maybe they switched designs) but what you are describing is a tube that the a bolt will go all the way through. Do you still have a part number. Thanks for your help.Thumbs Up

7. StratfordPusher

Yes

Musta updated it, but that will be what you need to correct the problem.

We also used large washers and mylar nuts as we found the mount had worn away some
    of the cross member at the holes.

This spring after the plows are off I am going to have the horns beefed up as the truck
    is getting old....

Hope it helps...

8. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Put the tow hooks back in & lock tight the bolts.
    Not sure why so many peeps remove the tow hooks ?

9. lazyike

lazyike Member

Thats the way it is now and yes I did use (red) lock tight the first, 2nd, and 3rd time. used new bolts also. I have put the same plow on another chevy, same year never had a problem.

10. StratfordPusher

2001 2500hd

Funny, same year as the truck I had the same issue with...

2001 chev 2500HD-3.jpg