1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Loose mount

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dlcs, Dec 24, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Has anyone ever had a mounting carton that likes to loosen up itself? I have a 07 Chevy 2500hd nbs with a 17111 mounting carton. The passenger side has dropped down about a 1/4 from the bottom of the truck frame, not sue why this is. The only bolt that was loose was the first mounting bolt from the front of the truck, that bolts through the side of the frame. This has happened twice now, can't seem to keep it tight and I'm not sure how the mount can drop down a 1/4" in the front as the bottom bolt(one with the handle nut) seems tight to the frame? this is driving me nuts as I don't want to damage my truck frame or god forbid, the plow falls off.
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I'd try replacing the bolts & nuts with grade 8 and locking nuts, those bolts should never come loose.
  3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Who installed your plow??
    If a dealer did i would go back NO MATTER how long ago it was! and demand them to fix/ tighten those bolts!
    Thats all you would need is to raise the plow and the mount drops that would suck!
    I've gotta say i've NEVER had that problem!
  4. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't forget anti sieze
  5. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Do not use Grade 8! They are stronger in one sense, but are more brittle, and not rated for impact loads. Meyer does not recommend grade 8 (see manual), use grade 5 with locking nuts!
  6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have never had a problem with u.s.gr8 bolts (brittle) (load impact) yes the manual shows gr5 bolts, but when a bolt starts to give me a problem I up grade to gr8s and I have no more problem, JMO

dlcs do what you want
  7. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I think that I figured out the problem. this particular mount was also used on the 1999-2007 old body style 2500hd's. With the old body style Meyer had the installer retain the tow hooks and the mount bolted through the frame and into the tow hooks, instead of using nuts. Now on the new body style hd's, Chevy changed the tow hook design so Meyer couldn't keep the tow hooks intact with this mount. So, Meyer says to remove the tow hooks and bolt the mount to the frame using a nut on the backside, instead of threading the mounting bolt into the tow hook. What I think happened on my truck is that i cought the plow on something and the bottom mounting bolt pulled and stretched the hole in the frame . I can see where the washer was pulled down so hard on the truck frame that it cupped. Kinda of hard to explain without seeign it. I installed this mount back in 07 and no problems until this season. This will be fixed this week. I plan on cutting a piece of 1/2 thick flat stock, the with of the frame, and laying it in the frame then running a longer bolt up through the frame/mount. The flat stock will act like a washer but will cover a larger area. Kinda hard to explain.
  8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Now you know whats going on and you can fix it, good luck and have fun this year.