1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looks Easy Enough...but

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MajorDave, Sep 27, 2013.

1. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

My neighbors see me pulling out (neighbors on next block) with my truck during winter. I was approached to do their adjoining back alley way where their garages all meet. I thought no worries. Then I looked it over. Challenges...
    -Can only push one way (away from where I took the pic) as no where to leave snow at this end.
    -Problem is at far end is another main road...can push across road as there is nothing there but cemetery...obviously - not supposed to with state law...
    -Other thing is they want the snow removed - not pushed to side. Certainly would be some residuals up agains garage entrances.
    -I have a straight blade as well - I know the V would make it easier.
    -About 15 houses on each side (Total 30). Most want it done others not sure...which would pose another problem of not plowing them in.
    -Havent even thought of a price - $30 each due to ease if I can figure it out? Some want front sidewalk done as well.

-Again - sounds simply, but thought I would toss it out there. Guess is simply gonna be a large amount of passes one way...
    -Thoughts?

IMG_0202.jpg

2. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

where exactly do you plan on going with the snow??

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

They get together and you do ALL of them or you do none of them. Can't imagine it any harder than if you tried to do them individually or if all the residents weren't in on it.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

So if I understand you correctly you want $900 to plow the alley. I'm sure you could blow it in a dump truck and haul it away for that price.

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

For 900 per event you could scoop it up in shovels and melt it away on a portable grill, no worrys about where to put the snow.

6. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I like the portable grill idea - maybe if all of them turn them on at once - it would just happen! I walked over there this am with the dog...bit of a puzzle. I would have to hire a dump truck. And yes, can get good money here in NYC as everything is quadruple-priced anyway. I know the back looks like a third-world country but the front are high-end houses...about $750k price range. Last year neighbors were paying $50 each...I want to make it easier for them to say yes and be fair. Thanks for thoughts...Dave

7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If they are paying $50, why would you drop the rate to $30? If you can get it for $45 or $40 why not.

8. kg26

kg26 Senior Member

I agree not worth the time or effort to only do some. Believe me when you get stated you will be kicking your self.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

One large event and then what?

10. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Fun

Looks like as much fun as plowing mini space storage facilities.

11. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Agree - can't just leave one square here and there and there will end up being a spillover that could be bigger than average depending on snow amount. Talked to most - told em $45 - all or none...all in so far. We'll see. Now others are asking from blocks next to them on both sides...who knows. Let ya know how it goes, thanks. Dave

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes it's nice to just walk away.what happens when someone beaches a car there?

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

7 houses on each side. Unless you want to drive yourself nuts .... you might want to come to a residential agreement. This is the fuzzy gray area in which they give and you give.

-Do they expect you to remove ALL of the snow? If so, you better have a shovel and strong back because there will always be fall back into the garages.
    -You need to make sure you can plow across a street. Given your picture as long as you clean up after yourself your probably ok.
    -What is their timing?

I think if you tell them you will try to be there near 6:am, it's best effort, some trail off. 2-5" per plow at $15 per house and ALL houses must be in. Then $5 per house for an evening clean up when they shovel the snow back into the alley.