1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking too go full blown commercial for 2015/16 season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zjfisher, Mar 31, 2015.

1. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

Hey guys been following and reading every bodies thoughts and concerns for a few seasons on here. I must say There is a lot of good points & information in this forum! and I love the Craigslist finds!
    But let me get to the chase, for the last 6 years I have been doing residential driveways with all of my original customers that I started with adding a few more here and there. I am now up to 23 this past winter. But I honestly would like to try getting in to commercial lots. Over by the garage I rent there are a total of 18 small (20 car or less) and 4 good size (60 car or more) lots all with in 1/4 mile of each other. One also has 3 loading docks.
    Would I be Crazy too try and bid all?
    Who do I contact too bid?
    what time of year should I start calling?
    Im not afraid to higher a lawyer to have a real contract written up too cover my ass just in case. and am willing too pay for the correct insurance too cover it also.
    What kinda of equipment should I have? Will my 2009 gmc 2500 cover all this ground? should I have a 2nd or 3rd truck with them being so close to each other? Is it easier to higher a sub?
    I have tons of questions and this is just the start. Figured no better place to start the here with the professionals! Thanks in advanced guys! Be safe out there

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

well getting specific lot may be a challenge, but if those are the lots you want, I'd say go in and talk to them, ask to speak with the manager & let them know you are interested in bidding. Depending on what these lots are you may have a shot. Some types of places are "national" serviced, and some have a trusted & long time plower, some hire there brother, best is to go ask. Bidding them all depends on if you think you can handle them. Thing is with commercial there is no wiggle room, you say you'll do it, you better get it done or else you won't be doing it again. What kind of plow do you got for your 2500?

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

We would need findlotsize pictures to say what we think you would need for equipment.
    Your truck can do them, but can it do them all (if you get all) in a big storm and or in a reasonably fast timeframe?
    Face to face with the person who makes the decision. The best way. Have your final solution and game plan ready when you do speak to them. No using the non words "umm....ahhh....hmmmm ".

4. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

BC, I have the 8.5 fisher xtreme v ss on the truck. with a fisher 1000 tailgate spreader

5. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

very understandable! and the key there is if I get any of them! Would they be measured by sq ft? parking spots? I could probably get Google earth to get a birds eye view of them In the next couple weeks I was planning to go and scout out the parking lots for a game plan. Should I bring the rollamesure and a note book with me? should i draw a map while im there?
    And how do i find out about the person that makes the decision? Just go in and ask the receptionist?

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No offense, but this is simply plowing snow, not rocket science.

Any parking lot, no matter how big it is, is really just a bunch of small parking lots - when it comes time to plow it and when you are bidding it....

Look at a small parking lot, call it 10 parking spots - how long would it take you to plow it? 10 min, 15 min?? We figure an hourly rate but set a minimum, If your hourly rate is 60 bucks, it takes 10 min to plow then that'd be 10 bucks to plow but your minimum is 25, so it's 25 bucks.........

Now look at a bigger lot - the front will take you 30min, side 10 min and back 45 min - that'd cost 85 bucks...

It becomes too easy to drive thru a lot and say 10 min here, 30 min there type of thing.

How you price it and hourly rates are based on your market - I did the rates above to make the math simple...

You will also probably bid on 50 locations and get ONE.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

http://www.findlotsize.com/
    You should be able to figure plow time, snow stacking spots, and such at a look.

8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

First thing you will need to get is a loader capable of pushing at least a 16' pusher. ;)

9. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

Bossman! The lots aren't that big! Besides if needed I have access too a smaller articulating Kubota with a 12 ft pusher on it

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I know buddy.....I know. There is a member on here who thinks any lot over 400 sf in size needs the above mentioned loader and pusher. It was a joke Thumbs Up

Carry on

11. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

You should also look into having a back up plow/salt truck, just in case something happens to your truck. It's always nice to have a plan B.

12. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

Talk too who/ Property Manager? should I do this now? or should I wait till late summer? early fall/

13. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

I could not agree with you more! I came a cross a real clean 85 4x4 gmc 1 ton dump. Very presentable for the year. restoration was done 5 years ago with receipts

14. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

:jester: I hope so! thats crazy maybe 40k ft2

15. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

This is cool! Thank you! am I using this correctly? 3 points (markers) are area?
    the county parcel viewer is saying its .03 of acre. this site doing 3 points is saying a 18 car parking lot is .93 acre ?:confused:

16. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

If I get any at all!!! Too Cowboys out there, with no insurance and a wing and a prayer! I see what your saying about charging by the hour. Brake it down too the minutes. what about salt and calcium? what about a shovel our 2 or a snow blower?

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

You add as many waypoints as needed. You can create a very accurate measurement with a little time and effort. 18 car spaces should be less that.

18. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Well that depends on who deals with those things, not all places hire prop managers, but yes a prop maneger, store/location manager, an owner if you can find em, by fall is usually too late, as a prepared place would have it set up by then "in case" plus most contractors fill up there routs by then, I'd say sometime in summer, but not early summer, cause that time of year most don't even want to think about snow. :laughing:

19. zjfisher

zjfisher Member

So just go up and present myself in a professional manor and hope for the best some time around the end of August
    ?

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

Go now. Hit them up with your prices and ideas while winter is fresh in their minds...maybe they paid too much, maybe the current contractor sucked..