1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to wire 3 trucks and 2 Bobcats with stobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by ducaticorse, Nov 5, 2012.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Would like four corners on the trucks and one or two rear on the cats. Looking to do something inexpensive and not fancy.

Trucks and cats are

89 F600
    00 F350 Dump
    04 F350 Pick up
    Bobcat 463
    Bobcat753

Suggestions are very much appreciated......

2. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

x2 with Crazy, Louis @ strobesnmore is here on the forum and always gives great information and wont steer you wrong. Worst part about the strobes are running the wiring. Other than that hook up your connections and hit the switch! Thumbs Up

4. ducaticorse

from we

I consider a four corner kit for 159 to be inexpensive LOL. The guy who i paid to wire my remote start wanted 500 plus install. ******* crook. Came recommended to me by a friend who as it turns out, never actually used him before...

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Good place to start is what is your budget? That will give everyone some room to play.

Wiring LED's, especially the StrobesNMore ones that are basically prewired are easy. Just need to run power wires and find a good ground. If you would like them to sync up and look professional then you'll need to run the green wire I believe it is in between them. Simple. I bought a fuse block and a couple switches that run my front and rears separately.

6. ducaticorse

from we

I'd like to be @ $200 per truck. Maybe $100-$150 per cat since I will only need two strobes. I can do simple wiring on my own. I don't mess with ignitions though...

7. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

You should buy a 360 degree strobe for the roof of you cats, it would be cheaper and visible from all sides of the cat.

8. ducaticorse

from we

Good idea. Maybe the aforementioned vendor has those too.

9. fordtruck661

fordtruck661 Senior Member
    from CT

For the trucks use 2 LED hidaways http://www.strobesnmore.com/product_info.php?products_id=1318 up front and for the back use http://www.sirennet.com/gl4.html

And for the bobcats use any of these http://www.sirennet.com/beacons_led.html

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'm a big fan of simple stuff. First, it's generally more reliable. Second, it's generally easier to install. Third, it's generally easier to repair. And finally, it's usually cheaper.

As somebody else already said, if you really want 360 degree warning visibility, hideaways and surface mount strobes / LED's are not always the best choice. Going with my "simple" theme from above, the company I work for uses Star Mini-Bars on everything. (The strobe version, not the halogen rotators.) We have them on 3 skid steers, 10 F-350 pickups, one backhoe, 1 F-550 salt truck and one loader. Since they're all identical, parts are easy to stock and "hot spares" are not an issue to change out in the middle of a storm. At around $125 each, they're quite reasonable. And, they really do give true 360 degree warning.

Sure, LED's are cool and I have a few in my light bar (along with the halogen rotators), but they're a lot more expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

11. ducaticorse

from we

Too stroked, These "mini bars" are hard wired I assume? They list for $153 each, and I agree with you as far as having everything dress right dress for interchangeability sake.

12. ducaticorse

from we

Fordtruck, I like the sirennet mini's for the cats... Nice.

Thank you all for your input.

13. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yes, they're all hard wired - with a quick disconnect plug. That's what allows us to keep a couple of "hot spares" in the shop and quickly swap lights if something goes wrong with one. Here's our standard mini-bar and hook up. (BTW, the black stripe is painted on the inside of the outer dome on all of our lights so we can tell if they're ours.)

[​IMG]

14. ducaticorse

from we

Big fan of the quick disco. Thank you for the picture. Think it will be three of those for the trucks, and 2 of the sirennet minis for the skids. Done and DONE.

15. ImpressPlowing

ImpressPlowing Member
    from NYC