1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to sub-contract for commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Employment' started by nmartin, Aug 18, 2016.

1. nmartin

nmartin Junior Member

Hello everyone!

My name is Nick, I am the Sourcing Manager for a national facilities maintenance company located in NY. We are new to the exterior services so I am looking to establish a strong base of sub-contractors.

We already do a fair amount of snow (about $200,000 annually, but are currently involved with 4 bids totaling about $25,000,000 so we need subs set up!)

WE DO EVERYTHING! So whether it is land, snow, janitorial, excavation please reach out to me, we would be glad to get some work!

Please call me at (631) 737 3140 ext. 275 or email me at nmartin@broadwaynational.com and I will be glad to explain the on-boarding process.

We sub-contract all work throughout the country and strive to keep very strong relationships with our subs, we are very flexible with payment and are great to work with!

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Awesome! Another NSP! Exactly what the industry needs.

FredG, BUFF and SnoFarmer like this.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is nothing like making money for the middleman.

4. nmartin

nmartin Junior Member

Lol, I understand your guys criticisms, companies like us are not ideal for every contractor but there are some new players to the game that could really benefit from a company like us when they don't have their own client base to start out.

If you guys are getting a lot of work on your own then you don't need to piggyback off us, but there are a lot of small local business that really do appreciate the customers we provide them.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What you may not or may not know is some NSPs have left a bad taste in a lot of companieys mouths.

You could be a exception but untill you prove yourself you will be treated with skepticism.
    ( nothing personal)

It's not aboot having work, it's more aboot getting a contract with a large box store,
    Without making money for a middleman,
    You see, if you are making money,without you ,we could be making more.

FredG, Randall Ave and BUFF like this.
  6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

And it's YOU that piggyback off of us. Get that part straight. You shuffle paper. We WORK.

MSsnowplowing, FredG and JustJeff like this.
  7. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

How about give the guy a chance to discuss it and explain as I don't know if any of you know him personally or the company he works for so no need for any attacks

Thanks

8. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

and no, I'm not sticking up for nationals and I don't know him but maybe he's different than what you all are used to dealing with

9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Wow. Going from 200,000 to 25,000,000 is really a heck of a goal. Most companies shoot for a reasonable goal. Sustained growth of 30% annually will get you on the INC 5000 list. And you want to do 12,400% growth? Can't see why that won't work.

10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd be much more concerned about cash flow to pay me as a subcontractor than the yearly growth percentage with a sales increase like that.

What if anything do you have in NE OH?

FredG likes this.
  11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It has to be a typo.......Annual Revenue reported is $5,337,084.00
    https://www.dandb.com/businessdirec...ignandlightingllc-ronkonkoma-ny-36436664.html

12. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

Let's assume it was a type and he meant 2 million in snow - I don't believe that since the commas don't often auto full. But let's assume. From 2 million to 25 million is still 1,150% growth. That would put them roughly top 100 on the INC5000. Just like JDG said, you can't cashflow that sort of growth. My grandmother used to say I had eyes bigger than my stomach. I think they have plans bigger than their wallet.

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

From what I read. The snow sales are the 200000.00. They must be going for a big box store nationwide account. If that's the case, what are the payment terms, and could they post a generic copy of their contract.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Rather than speculating I'm going to wait for Nick to respond.....
    :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Growth potential could be all smoke. I would be more concerned in the 10 page contract and the flexible payments. Your in NY and so am I where is the work?

16. nmartin

nmartin Junior Member

^^^ This is correct, previously most of the snow we have done is for accounts that we provide "full facility service," and the bulk of the account is not in snow removal. This year is our first trip to The Thunderdome that's why I am trying to go straight to the source and learn as much as possible.

Although I have been getting a lot of criticism from this thread, I have also received some pretty informative responses. :D

Our Terms are Net 60 - and we have bid everywhere that it snows, including NY.

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

So you are robbing Peter to pay Paul with Net 60. You want the contractor to foot the bill for 60 days of work plus start up costs while you are out nothing. What happens when the actual client doesn't pay? Does contractor still get paid? What are your insurance requirements? The thing most Nationals don't seem to realize is they need people like us. And if you want good contractors you need to pay a decent wage on time. Sadly this is not the norm with Nationals. So take this as you may but remember we are a real grumpy group of people. You will have a long road to plow to get these guys and gals on your side. Good luck. Thumbs Up

FredG likes this.
  18. nmartin

nmartin Junior Member

We do tend to be flexible with our terms, we totally understand the importance of our sub-contractors and honestly I think it is the number one most important aspect of the business. We will ALWAYS pay our subs no matter if we get paid by the client or not.

kimber750 likes this.
  19. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

Of course you will get criticism, The industry does not like middle men That don't supply equipment or labor etc and have a reputation for not paying. You play in the rain you have to deal with the mud. You have been asked numerous questions of where work is located, You say NY, What counties? We now no net 60 days. What about your contract? How many pages?

I won't bash you in anyway because you have done me no wrong. What summer operation are you involved in on said property's besides mowing. Any Sanitary, storm, blacktop, concrete, demolition, land clearing etc?

Few of these ?'s answered you may get some better response.

20. nmartin

nmartin Junior Member

I would be glad to answer all of these questions but I would prefer to speak over the phone or via email rather than posting all on the site.

If you are truly interested in working with us (or at least checking us out) call me at (631) 737 3140 ext. 275