1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to start

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by TREEGUARD, Oct 30, 2007.

TREEGUARD Junior Member

I'm looking to start some plowing for the winter but having some trouble with pricing if anyone could offer some help i could use it. I trying to get a couple of local 7-11's one has
    about 15 spots the other has only 8 same guy owns both.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Make sure you have insurance. Especially with a place like 7-11 where there are so many people there is more and more chance of someone slipping and with so many cars comming and going you never know who can pop up behind you as you are backing up. I had a macs milk once and it was 24 hours and it drove me bonkers cause crazy people would come fishtailing in the place park right infront of the door while we were plowing and we would have to wait for them to get a midnight slurpee. Almost had a taxi slide into me once and I can imagine trying to explain that I didnt back into him.

I work by figuring out how long it would take me and what I would like to make per hour.
    I also measure sq footage, even if its just paceing it out.

Dont forget salt and sand or salt... good money.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

TREEGUARD, if you're just starting out plowing, my advice would be to not do any commercial accounts this year. Let yourself get some experience before tackling the high maintenance ones. At the same time, check with your insurance agent to find out what a Commercial policy is going to cost you. Not many companies will even issue a Commercial insurance policy to someone with no previous experience in plowing snow. If these accounts are so readily available that you can get them your first year out, there will be others next year.

The other thing that tells me you're not ready for this type account is the simple fact that you asked for advice in pricing them in the first place. Before you even start pricing, get with the manager and find out if there is a Request for Proposal associated with this. An RFP will spell out exactly what they expect as far as when to plow, how often, ice control etc. An RFP may be very complex with many pages or very simple, consisting of a few lines. Regardless, they will want a bid sheet. Be sure to address each point on the RFP and keep a copy on file in case you or your lawyer need to refer to it.

But, in case you pursue these accounts - good luck.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Im with Mick (Good advice) What about subcontracting for someone? Maybe that way you can get covered under their insurance (laibility) and just add your truck as a commercial plow truck.

5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Mick's always on the ball! Nice post, and I agree.

TREEGUARD Junior Member

thanks for the advise. Anyone need some help