1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking To Start Up Next Year. What Combo To Buy.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Canadian-Plower, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Canadian-Plower

Canadian-Plower Junior Member

Hello Everyone

I am planning on getting a truck and plow next winter for myself, and plan on just doing residential driveways to start up as I will be attending Forestry School Full Time. I am wondering what I should select for a truck and plow. I am looking for a little older model half ton such as a '99 or '98. As for a plow I will probably stick to an older model fisher straight blade. I have experince plowing out parking lots and driveways now, as well as snowblowing just about everything. Also I live in Canada and we will be getting lots of snow as per the usual up here. Any suggestions on a combination is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Jordan King
    Truck not yet chosen
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Probably a used(no more than 10-15 years) 4X4 Ford F-250 or Dodge 2500(don't put a plow on a half ton) gas(easier to deal with when diesel is not needed) . These are the only manufacturers that put a solid front axle on their trucks which I feel is a must for a plow. You should look for something with a short wheelbase so it is more manuverable. As for a plow, I would go for a Fisher Minute Mount II 8 foot. Fisher is a proven design and very user friendly. The hydraulics are electric and very fast. There is usually very little repair and maintenence required from my expierience. That is my 2 cents, but we all have our opinions. Good Luck!
  3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I will concur on the advice of getting a 3/4 ton over a 1/2 ton. It will save you money in the long run. They are heavier built to the aspect that while parts are more expensive per unit, they last much longer. Examples of this are the larger brakes, larger and heavier CV joints, front end parts, etc..
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

GM 3/4 ton frontends are fine for plowing. GM transmissions are generally considered better, Dodge not so much. If you do go 1/2 ton, 7.5' plow only.
  5. Kunker

Kunker Member

3/4 ton from any of the big 3, keep it short (reg cab long box or ext cab short box) and thrown on an 8 foot blade with some ballast in the back.
  6. m.williams

m.williams Member

chevy 3/4 tons are fine for plowing and the allison tranny does blow fords ZF and w.e dodge is running skyhigh, any of the ford chevy or dodge would be fine for plowing, its all rally personal preference. Just do yourself a favor and dont get anything smaller or of different brand like toyota(the joke they are for trucks)

o and its fine to run soemthing bigger then a 7.5 if you have a diesel which i would strongly recoomend because they are so much more powerful and harder to kill, and to all the gassers out there the argument is settled because none of your gas trucks would make it the 343000 miles tht our older truck has on it with no rebuild yet
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a friend with a 96 Suburban with Vortec 350. Last I heard over 330,000. Miles, not kilometers.
  8. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

Im gonna vouch for the 350 here too. I love diesels and would rather have one, but my neighbor used to have a chevrolet 1/2 ton with over 700,000km on it (435,000 miles ish) and it still ran. Went through 4 trannys in that time, but it was a plowtruck.
  9. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

my dads Toyota has 410000 on the truck original Tran and engine