1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to start next season advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by croche1260, Mar 26, 2015.

1. croche1260

croche1260 Junior Member
    from 02131

I have always plowed and done snow removal for someone else.

I want to start on my own next season in the greater Boston area. West Roxbury, if its relevant. We will have 2 trucks equipped with a plow. 1 truck with a snow blower and shovel team.

I want to know best ways to advertise? When to start? How to land commercial lots? and any other information that would be relevant.

We want to have a mix of residentials but mostly want to have commercial parking lots. These lots will be not be on the smaller side.

any help is greatly appreciated.

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Is that 2 trucks with 1 plow or 2 plows? Is there a 3rd truck with snow blower and shovelers. Your post does not make that clear or what size those trucks are.

3. croche1260

croche1260 Junior Member
    from 02131

Sorry
    1 GMC Sierra 1500 with plow
    1 Toyota tundra with plow
    1 f150 with snow blower/shoveler

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Talk up your sidewalk crew to the commercials. Just price it to make money!

5. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

You have 3 1500 series trucks. Go easy on the commercial side Stick with residential driveways because of your equipment

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Gonna need at least 2 2500 plow trucks.

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Most guys I know that tried starting out with 1500 series trucks bailed after a year or three.

Those lighter trucks could not cut the mustard. Not sure of all the reason as I do not have any. But they were not making enough to hang in there year after year....however the guys I see starting with 3500 and 2500 series made out and lasted.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

These lots will be not be on the smaller side.

Ok, so what's your back up plan when the "big one" hits? Or what's the back up plan when a truck goes down?
    Who's going to get priority over the other when the call comes in?

9. cowbay

cowbay Junior Member

As stated above those trucks area little light for the job. More important do not work for the nationals i.e. Ferrandino, Merit, SMS, etc. that is a great way to go out of business. Somewhere along the way they are going to burn you. My analogy is they are like having a pet cobra it is not a question if it's going to bite you it is when is it going to bite you

10. cowbay

cowbay Junior Member

As stated above those trucks area little light for the job. More important do not work for the nationals i.e. Ferrandino, Merit, SMS, etc. that is a great way to go out of business. Somewhere along the way they are going to burn you. My analogy is they are like having a pet cobra it is not a question if it's going to bite you it is when is it going to bite you

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

The big one won't hit Boston....

12. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

And buy Dodge !! Maybe a GMC

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Why?......

14. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

I will bet every guy with a plow in that area is thinking the same thing.