1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking to start building a plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tomconnell95, Jan 9, 2015.

1. tomconnell95

tomconnell95 Junior Member

hey guys. been on this forum for a while and haven't posted much but have read a bit lately. for the past 5 years ive been going around on my atv and a small plow doing residential driveways. well im kinda tired of freezing out on the atv so im ready for a big boy plow. i recently bought a 2000 v10 excursion of a guy for less than 4k and had under 110000 on it. im not looking to pay 3-6k on a used/new plow so with my welding experience (5 years of weekend work) im gonna attempt to build a diy plow for under 1k for my "grocery getter".

im probably going to start on it tomorrow with buying the steel and building the blade. (or moldboard i think its called) heres my list of steel i have on my list so far. any suggestions or pics of your plow setups and designs of your plows are appreciated.

11ga 4x8 steel sheet (the main blade section)
    1/4" 4x4 steel plate (to make the ribs)
    1/2" 1x1 steel plate (to make supports/pin holes/ram brackets)
    (2) 3/8" 2x2 steel angle 10' (top and bottom rails/supports)
    4 x 3 x 1/4" rectangle tube 5' (center section where hydro rams go)

my dad has a rotted away meyer plow at his shop that i was planing on stealing some of the design ideas from (minus the angle ribs being replaces with plate ribs) and try to improve/strengthen it

like i said any pics of your plows that i might be able to steal some designs of of would be awesome and appreciated. thanks guys
  2. tmf lawn care

tmf lawn care Member

save the head ach look on craigslist for it. thay have some deal some time on there
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a huge PITA. Buy something off craigslist or here!
  4. tomconnell95

ive been on their for the past few weeks. seems like everything halfway decent the people want ridiculous amounts of money for them and i cant afford that right now considering im 19 making under $13hr and 2 open loans. plus i like the idea of the project and i dont mind if it takes a few weekends to finnish. im on the apprenticeship list of the boilmakers local union so welding/metal fab is kinda my thing.
  5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

You'll have more money in building one than you will in just buying one on CL or rebuilding that plow your dad has.
  6. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Don't forget your still gonna need all the hydraulics and electronics too. I bought a used fisher mm1 for $1000 2 years ago the deals are out there
  7. ggb6259

ggb6259 Senior Member
    from SW MI

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What about the mount?
    And like was said how about the hydraulics and electrics?
  9. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

What about the liability?? That's a hell of a lot more expensive than anything else could be, even a brand new plow.
  10. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

How about the satisfaction when he is done, go for it...
  11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Satisfaction in installing a proper plow. Not the headaches of figuring this out or that out or how's this gunna go or where am I gunna put that.
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Exactly. There are plenty of good mouse traps out there already. No need to design a new one in this situation. We've seen some here who thought they would save money by cobbling some Meyer and Western stuff together.

I'd say go for it if it was for your atv, tractor, or even skid steer.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  13. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

He`s not designing a plow off the top of his head. He says he has a meyer plow to copy or modify for the better. And asked for pics to get other ideas. Just because the rest of you guys lack the ambition,talent or other dosen`t mean he should scratch the idea of making his on plow. Who knows he may come up with something nobody has thought of and others will follow. I say go for it.
  14. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

How about this, i have a rt3 boss plow with a rusty moldboard but all the hydraulics and frame etc are good. Make me an offer, then you can spend your time fixing up the blade or run it as is.

Then when you make some money and want to upgrade, you already have the boss mount on your truck and you're good to go
  15. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a link to a plow I built a few years ago form an old Western. I fabbed the moldboard, wings, and mount, and heavily modified the A-frame and quadrant.

For myself, it wasn't about saving money, but building something more robust and specific for my application. That said, I think you could "re-build" and existing plow much cheaper than you'll build one from scratch. And take note of the mention of liability. Like everything else, it's not a problem until it's a problem........

Also, from your short materials list, you're going to need much wider material for the moldboard ribs........
  16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

After re-reading, It sounds like you're just trying to build a new moldboard for the existing Meyer's plow?? If that's the case, I say go for it if you have the time and ambition.......
  17. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

All that time, effort, and money to basically copy a Meyer? Honestly, I hope it turns out really well.

You nailed it. I don't have ambition, talent or other things. You got me there....Thumbs Up
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  18. carplowguy

carplowguy Junior Member
    from none

19. tomconnell95

Thanks for the replies guys. No offense, Some of you kinda got what im saying. Its more about the project side of it vs trying to reinvent the wheel. Are their plows that i could buy for 1000 to 1500, yes but most require some or alot of work. I have a pump that i believe needs to be rebuilt along with my dads old angle cylinders. I may end up just rebuilding my dads plow but like i said i like the idea of a project that i can say i did. Imo time isnt really a huge deal. I could do it after work and weekends.
  20. tomconnell95

I actually saw that when i was searching the forums. Some might say your crazy. Others are envious. Lol. And its something you can say you did and works