1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to put a 7.5' unimount on a 2004 F-250

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by let it snow!, Nov 1, 2011.

1. let it snow!

let it snow! Junior Member

I'm new to plowing and I am looking to put a plow on my 2004 f-250 super cab long bed diesel. I am looking at a used unimount (about an 03) of a 2003 F-250 that is complete with truck side mount, controller and wiring harness. Is there any difference in the mount for a 2003 to a 2004? How hard would this be to install myself? Also, is a 7.5' big enough?
    Thanks

2. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

Not positive about the mount but they should be the same. IMO 7.5 is to small unless your doing driveways.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Go bigger !!!

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Install isn't bad. You have to remove the front bumper, but other than that it goes ok. Be sure to assemble everything before you tighten anything up.

As for a 7'6, yes, it is a bit small. 8' or bigger would be best, 7'6 will work ok though.

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

7'6" is like kissin' your sister

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

My truck is a similar size to yours and a 7', 6" is waaaaaay too small for that truck. Go bigger my friend, 8 ft. as a minimum.

You'll have problems pushing windrows as the blade won't stick out far enough from the side of your truck and your tires will start spinning as the snow falls into your path. Not to mention turning with your plow at an angle.

If you need a small blade for driveways or whatever, either get a V blade, which shrinks from its max width when Vee'd or in scoop, get a straight blade and get wings, or buy an expandable wing plow.

7. let it snow!

Well hopefully I didn't make a big mistake, because right after I started this thread I decided to go take a look and I ended up coming home with it. A local plow dealer was helping me out and when he heard I could get everything for 1800 he said to jump on it. Maybe I can just get my feet wet with this one and get a new one next year if all goes well. I also found Western dealer to install it for $350.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Oh you got a great deal. That would be around $3k or so installed here. Like you said, get your feet wet. Its a great plow to start with. You can always graduate to something bigger or even add wings to it if need be. Also bear in mind that just the moldboard (blade itself, the red part) can be swapped too. The mounting is universal for all sizes within reason.

You didn't make a mistake by any means. You're on a path to good things.

9. let it snow!

So I could swap the blade out with a 8 or 8.5' and keep the same light assembly and everything? I think it has 3 trip springs I don't know if that matters or not.

10. let it snow!

Here's some pictures of it. The only thing that concerns me is the cylinders have some pitting. Is this a problem? Do they need replaced?

[​IMG]

Here's the pitting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Yea you can swap. Even a 4 spring has the tab for the 3rd one in the center instead. That amount of pitting isn't anything to worry about. Just keep an eye out for fluid around the seal. Worse case let me know and I can get you a good price on cyls.

12. let it snow!

Great, thanks for the info. In the event that they start leaking, roughly how much $ are they?

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd have to look but probably around $80 or so each.

14. let it snow!

That's not bad, thanks.