1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to purchase sand/salt spreader...help.

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by taxreliever, Jan 7, 2014.

1. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

I have an 86 3/4 Chevy pick up that has an older Fisher 7.5 ft plow that I've been plowing my yard and my neighbors yard for the past 5 years now.

The last couple years, I haven't been able to find anyone reliable enough to sand my paved yard/parking lot (about 15k square feet) when I need it and my wife and I have had enough and have decided to try to take care of that on our own.

Where we have all pavement, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money to be able to keep pavement all year as I run my practice on this property and there are 2 other businesses here also.

I've only just recently started looking and was thinking about these for purchase if I just did salt only:

http://www.amazon.com/Meyer-Tailgat...1389055862&sr=1-37&keywords=tailgate+spreader

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_588_588

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200136324_200136324

There's not much decent or within our price range ($1000-$1500) locally...I've just quickly looked at the local ads and craigslist.

Also, not sure if I need a sander if I'm able to maintain pavement with salt somehow....need help with that also.

Thanks for any help!

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a Meyer, or the Snowex that is sold at home depot.

Stay away from the northern tool garbage.

3. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

4. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Tgs 07. I think 06 will do sand too but not sure
    07 has auger and vibrator

6. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

where in maine are you located? If it is for your business I would think having the ability to spread sand and salt would be a good idea, with the ice we have been having the salt doesn't really do enough and you need the sand for traction, especially for foot traffic. the basic salt spreaders will only spread bagged salt, and they are fine for that, and the price is manageable. the sand/salt spreaders have an auger to move material, vibrators to keep it from bridging, and are usually fairly heavy duty to handle the weight of sand. an example would be a snowex 1875 bulk pro or sand pro. new they may go for over 3k. the used market around here is tough I have been looking myself, I bought a sand pro that needed some work, and still haven't fixed it yet but after repairs it will still be in my budget of around 1k. Keep in mind also buying a used unit that is several years old may require expensive parts soon, ie the controller for the sand pro is between 3-5 hundred dollars when they go, auger is 120, motors are 2-3 hundred, transmissions are 350+, vibrators are 3-4 hundred, etc. The upfront cost of a new one may balance out (if its reasonable, the 3k snowex might not make sense for your application), plus you can maintain it and know it has been cleaned and oiled, and would probably have a warranty. sorry for the long winded reply, hope it helped!

7. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Thanks....the TGS07 is about $1700 and the Meyer 38000 is $1800......would there be a preference and is this going to be the price range for home or personal use?

8. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

THANKS for taking the time.....I hear ya on used...I can't really see anything and now think that new is going to be my best bet.

I'm in Farmington. There is a place in Topsham that makes them....so I wonder how much they charge. It's Coastal Metal Fab www.sanspreader.com. I'm going to call them today.

9. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

What do you think of the Saltdogg and Meyer ones listed above?

10. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I think those would be great options, they are heavy duty units and the price is right. search on here you will find a ton of information and reviews. I live about 15 minutes from coastal metal fab, they primarily make the big spreaders called Vboxes that hold 1+ yards of material. they make whats called the baby sander, but I don't think the price will be comparable to the salt dog or Meyers. google saltdogg dealer locator and see whats around you, and call them. They may have some units in stock. you also need to decide if you are going to want to spread sand or just salt, as that will narrow down your search. downside to sand is the clean up in the spring of course, but its better than having people slipping.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Saltdogg. You get a vibrator and auger. It's basically a mini v box.

The lid also opens both ways.

I am not crazy about that strap meyer is using now for their spreaders.

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Call Jim at ESItrucks.com . He'll beat anyone even with shipping to you.

13. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

That baby one was what I was thinking, but you're probably right about cost....thanks again.....could care less about spring clean up really.....the slips and falls are my main concern.

Excellent....thank you!

I'm going to try him now...thanks!

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have customers very happy with the TGS-07.

15. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Awesome...thanks....I just bought the TGS07...I did call that other company and there were only $150 or so more than the place I found it online cheaper at easternmarine.com.....so I'm pretty excited to be able to have my driveway done when I need it.....if only my sander guy was a tad more reliable.....it's been frustrating that's for sure.....anyways, thanks for all the help.

Can't wait to get it.

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Great keep us updated on how you like it. Swing by "maine" under the weather section and introduce yourself if you havent already. Lot of great guys there. What'd they whack you for freight anyways?

17. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

Oh cool....didn't know there was a Maine page....will do.

Believe it or not, freight was only $120. Not sure how they got it that low. Actual price of the item was comparable to esltrucks.com, but they charged $254 for shipping.

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Residential delivery?

19. taxreliever

taxreliever Member

I own a business and have commercial property.

20. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

Normally commercial means loading dock and fork lifts. That's what I was told when I had something shipped since I had neither they said it was residential