1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking to purchase, but what size?

Discussion in 'Kage Innovation Snow Plow Systems' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

recently purchased a Cat 272D XHP skid steer. i like the idea of the kage how ever i am not sure which size i should order. the machine is 9,700 lbs. with 112 HP. im thinking a 9 would be perfect and would not bog the machine down at all but i may be incorrect and it may be able to handle a 10 foot no problem. any suggestions?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We run a 100 skids with 10ft sectionals. All the machines are 252 and 262's.....half the power of urs and much lighter.

3. Broncslefty7

alright sounds good. thank you for the information. i am excited to see what this can do in the snow, we are upgraded from 22+ year old bobcat 751's and 863's.

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

It should handle a 10 footer easily. Just remember you wont be able to trailer it 10 wide on the machine, legally that is.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

10' is no problem at all for that machine.

6. Broncslefty7

maybe 10' angled it would be legalish

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Why a kage plow when you can run a wing plow instead?

8. LapeerLandscape

If it was just the blade it might get under 8'-6" when angled but with the box on it it will probably still be over. You would have to measure to be sure.

9. Broncslefty7

i was thinking about a metal pless but all the additional parts make me nervous

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

2 extra hydraulic cylinders? These plows have been around for years and years and are a proven design, it'll keep you under width too being angled and the wings positioned right

11. Broncslefty7

Alright then, what is the benefit of an Metal pless over a Kage? i would think that a malfunction on a wing of a metal pless would put that piece of equipment out of commission for the storm, where if you have an issue with the box on the kage, you can just leave it off and keep on going.

12. LapeerLandscape

From what I have see the metal pless with the live edge is the best plow out there. You can make a 8' box plow into a 14' wide straight or angled plow or configure the wings however you like for windrowing. The live edge keeps scraping on uneven surfaces and closer to ground for less salt usage. Watch the video on how the live edge works, I wish I had one.

13. Broncslefty7

yeah i saw it, they also cost about 3500 more.

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Totally agree

15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I could be wrong be ! think ur mixing two designs in to one.

16. LapeerLandscape

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015